ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2024 Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great news and Not-So-Great news... As many of you know, I severely injured my back in January 2023 taking care of my dying sister. I missed last year's invasion due to a conflict in surgery, which helped, but not enough. In fact, I was in so much pain, that I had to forgo this past jaunt to the Philippines this past January. Unfortunately, my second surgery is scheduled 2 weeks before Bonaire, and while I might be able to manage it pain-wise, the surgeon has put his foot down and has told me that I can't leave the country out of fear of infection. I just won't be far along enough in my healing to be able to keep the bugs at bay. Life isn't fair all the time, now is it? FWIW, Bonaire is where I first met Rox and Dennis on sort of a precursor to these Invasions. The leader got stuck in the US due to a hurricane, and Dennis took over brilliantly. He and Rox have never, ever let us down.

So, please post pics. It's been too long since I've seen a sharp tailed eel! Or a frog fish. Or had the bedoodle scared out of me by a tarpon swimming way-too-close on a night dive. Sheesh! So post your pics, and tell me a story. I'll be flat on my back and will need your inspiration.
Sorry to hear this.. I was looking forward to meeting you. Had some fusion and a little roto-rooting in my past and it worked out well enough for me, so here's to hoping this makes you feel better too!

NIce video there with the fish ID

Great news and Not-So-Great news... As many of you know, I severely injured my back in January 2023 taking care of my dying sister. I missed last year's invasion due to a conflict in surgery, which helped, but not enough. In fact, I was in so much pain, that I had to forgo this past jaunt to the Philippines this past January. Unfortunately, my second surgery is scheduled 2 weeks before Bonaire, and while I might be able to manage it pain-wise, the surgeon has put his foot down and has told me that I can't leave the country out of fear of infection. I just won't be far along enough in my healing to be able to keep the bugs at bay. Life isn't fair all the time, now is it? FWIW, Bonaire is where I first met Rox and Dennis on sort of a precursor to these Invasions. The leader got stuck in the US due to a hurricane, and Dennis took over brilliantly. He and Rox have never, ever let us down.

So, please post pics. It's been too long since I've seen a sharp tailed eel! Or a frog fish. Or had the bedoodle scared out of me by a tarpon swimming way-too-close on a night dive. Sheesh! So post your pics, and tell me a story. I'll be flat on my back and will need your inspiration.
I'm so sorry to hear as my son and I were looking forward to meeting you. GODspeed recovery !

the bedoodle scared out of me by a tarpon swimming way-too-close on a night dive.
I know, I know !, not a great picture but will do to get started.
This one scared the life out of me. (no zoom, real distance) Taken at Capt. Don's Habitat - La Machaca Reef in Bonaire, NDL on 7/02/2023

1715957243815.jpeg

and then this one few days later at Something Special Reef in Bonaire NDL.
I called them, Happy and Forth. (hint: the date)

1715957937969.jpeg

It was on Bonaire that I discovered Guinnekens.
I prefer a good dark beer. Amstels, ain't that.
Guinness is a bit heavy, but it's nearly always available on Bonaire.
So of course is Heineken, which to me tastes a bit "green", in a similar was a IPAs do to me.
Compromise, Guinnekens.
Mostly though on Bonaire I drink Rum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom