ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2024 Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20 minute walk North from 18TH Palm Reef - Calabas Reef lies directly in front of the Divi Flamingo Beach Resort. Boat diving, diving from shore and snorkeling, it's all possible here. The reef is not quite pristine, but the water is calm and full of life. Common species at Calabas Reef are octopuses, groupers, turtles and occasionally even a seahorse. Enter Calabas Reef from the jetty or just from the beach. Diving is possible on both sides of the reef. Calabas Reef is also perfect for a night dive. Be aware of boats at Calabas Reef.

1693491874940.png

video of Calabas Reef at Divi Flamingo

6 minute walk North from 18th Palm Reef - Sebastian Reef dive site next to Sebastian's Restaurant Bonaire. It's an easy dive site with a slowly sloping bottom, followed by a wonderful reef with an abundance of marine life. Parrotfish, squid and lionfish are common species. Sebastian's Reef is also home to barracudas, turtles and seahorses. Sebastian's Reef is easily accessible. The water can be entered via a trailer ramp. There are two benches where you can build up your set and reminisce after your dive. Warnings; there can be pleasure boats in the surroundings of Sebastian's Reef.

1693493541319.png

40+ minute walk South from 18th Palm Reef - Windsox Reef dive site just opposite of the airport. It's a great site to spot stingrays, crabs, turtles, parrotfish and big bass. A shallow sandy plateau is followed by a reef with hard and soft corals. Windsock is named after the wind bags, coming from the airport nearby.
Follow the path down to the water and enter at the yellow stone. Walk straight ahead to the entry point, then descend along the wall down to the sandy bottom.

1693493465952.png

Picture of the entrance to Sebastian Reef, a shore dive at walking distance north from Plaza Resort hotel

1693496625171.png

Did you know Sebastian Reef is not included in the Reef Smart Guide - Bonaire ?

The two places on Bonaire that I have done the most night dives (more than all my other night nights, put together), have been:
#1, Bari Reef, off of Buddy Dive. ( off resort divers have always been welcome)
#2, 18 Palms, at the Plaza.
Both are great night dive sites.
Other great night dives we have enjoyed have been The Salt Pier, Windsock Beach, Windsock Resort, Capt Don's, and another access to Bari Reef, the rubble field just south on Den Laman ( although I believe this access is currently closed, as a new park is being created there).
Bonaire is also the only place that I have ever done a personal favorite of mine, a pre-dawn solo.
I absolutely love entering the ocean in the dark, when there is no one else there, and then watching the Reef wake up, and at some special point in the dive as the light grows stronger, seeing the nearly instantaneous "changing of the guard", when there is that moment at which, as if a factory whistle just blew, suddenly the water column is full of day time fish, that you only saw occasionally just seconds before.
It's also pretty cool to pass ",the first divers of the day", just heading out as you are exiting from your private dive.

Back
Top Bottom