ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2023 Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have used the Permethrin spray for several years. We spray a dri-fit long sleeve shirt with it at home several days before the trip. Then wear it at night or poolside and just spray our legs with the deet. We hang it and just keep wearing that same treated shirt and it does really make a difference.

We have used the Permethrin spray for several years. We spray a dri-fit long sleeve shirt with it at home several days before the trip. Then wear it at night or poolside and just spray our legs with the deet. We hang it and just keep wearing that same treated shirt and it does really make a difference.
That's a great tip!

Let's talk sand fleas LOL. I assume they still eat 100 times their body weight down there. Anyone have a favorite skin repellent cream?
This really depends on the individual. Each person's body odder is different and depends significantly on the foods they eat.
Just remember as divers - only use "Reef Friendly" repellents, please.
I have lived down here for over 6&1/2 years, and it took about 6-9 months of eating local foods that my "noseeums" greatly decreased. My wife on the other hand is very allergic to them and we do not use any chemicals due to toxic side effects. She has found that different blends of natural oils seem to work best for her.

Bob Herb

This really depends on the individual. Each person's body odder is different and depends significantly on the foods they eat.
Just remember as divers - only use "Reef Friendly" repellents, please.
I have lived down here for over 6&1/2 years, and it took about 6-9 months of eating local foods that my "noseeums" greatly decreased. My wife on the other hand is very allergic to them and we do not use any chemicals due to toxic side effects. She has found that different blends of natural oils seem to work best for her.

Bob Herb
The way I'm reading that, I should take 6 months off from work and come crash with you 😀

A few years back on a DNY, SB trip I set up on Bonaire, one of the young ladies on the trip had a bottle of Permethrin that she had everyone spraying directly on their skin, for mosquitoes.
I'd never heard of Permethrin before, so I didn't pay much attention, until I picked up the bottle as I sipped my morning coffee, mid week.
When our friend appeared that morning I said, "I know that you being a lawyer, you probably don't read the fine print, but this says to NOT spray it on the skin"....

I have since become a strong believer in using the chemical for avoiding deer ticks, but never on the skin.

After trying pretty hard to find a commercially produced natural repellant (eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil, citronella oil, etc) that worked for well enough in heavy mosquito areas, I finally gave up and have been using Picaridin. It works great as a permethrin alternative, supposedly safe for skin and doesn't eat plastic gear.

I'm still looking for something reef-safe for dive trips though. I'll check out some of the links that have been posted.

The instructions for the Permethrin spray say to spray on clothing. So that is what we have always done.

• Add a layer of protection to your clothing and gear with Permethrin insect and tick repellent spray — perfect for use on shirts, jackets, pants, socks, shoes, boots, sleeping bags, tents, netting, when outdoors, camping, hunting, or on travel
  • Ideal for backpacking, backyard BBQs, and other outdoor activities, it's effective against more than 55 kinds of insects — from disease-spreading ticks (Lyme disease) and mosquitoes (West Nile and Zika viruses) to chiggers, spiders, mites, and more
  • Permethrin spray bonds to fabric fibers for up to 6 weeks or through 6 washings (whichever comes first) and won't stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or outdoor gear; odorless after drying
  • Reduce likelihood of a tick bite by 73.6 times by treating shoes and socks with Permethrin (University of Rhode Island study - 2017)
  • 24-ounce trigger spray bottle treats five complete outfits (updated EPA dosage is 4.5 ounces per outfit consisting of shirt, pants, and socks); maximize protection by pairing with Sawyer Picaridin topical repellent for the skin

Just as a heads up for anyone taking American flight 891 out of Miami...Since Terri and I are flying in on Tuesday before the Invasion, we are within the window for filling out the Honduras precheck form. There is now an app for Android and I'm assuming other platforms as well. Just fill it out in the app and when you're done and tap SAVE. it will email the form to Honduran immigration (supposedly.)

Concerning the AA891 flight, when filling out the form you will need to enter the in-bound airline and flight number. However, after choose American Airlines in the drop-down menu, then go to flight number, flight 891 is not listed and you cannot type it in. It allows you to search for it, but to no avail. I just put in the 1st one on the list and let it go.

If you find this to be n error, let me know. I just couldn't find any other solution.
As a follow-up to my post quoted here, I received my verification email today. So everything is set on my pre-check. :yeahbaby:

If I'm coming from the US do I need any kind of electrical power adapter?

If I'm coming from the US do I need any kind of electrical power adapter?
Electricity North American standard layout and voltage of 110 volts(60 cycles), so adapters or transformers are not required for U.S. and Canadian appliances.

The packing thread cover this any many other questions that crew member may have.

Back
Top Bottom