ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2022 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to finally bite the bullet and buy a backplate w/wings setup. Since I'm retiring in the spring, my hope is that I'll be able to dive more frequently than once every few years.
I've been maxed out on vacation time for years. I finally told work to expect me to be gone for 2 dive trips every year until I retire. They don't want to see me quit so they'll have to deal with it. Got my new computer coming and my shorty coming. Planning on ordering the BP/W on the next paycheck :)

I've been maxed out on vacation time for years. I finally told work to expect me to be gone for 2 dive trips every year until I retire. They don't want to see me quit so they'll have to deal with it. Got my new computer coming and my shorty coming. Planning on ordering the BP/W on the next paycheck :)
I've lost 1-2 weeks of vacation time every year I've worked here (and I'm working 80-100 hours a week. Looking forward to workng when I feel like it. Or not.

Book through the hotel, they had no black outs for any rooms as of a couple days ago…hard to think things have changed since the party is still 4 days from opening eligibility. But, they can tell you if that’s not the case.

The hotel is massive and this group is only forecasted for 100 people. There’s no reason. To think you couldn’t find a room to accommodate your needs unless a bunch of outside people have booked these dates.
If you book through the hotel, you won’t be part of the scuba board events or on our dive boats.

I'm going to finally bite the bullet and buy a backplate w/wings setup. Since I'm retiring in the spring, my hope is that I'll be able to dive more frequently than once every few years.

If you are curious on options let me know. My wife and I have been diving BPW since our OW cert.

We are slaves to work too, but we zero our vacation time every year. Took 5 weeks last year and traveled all over South America, Central America, and the Caribbean. You will never make it to your death bed and say, “if only I worked one more day”

I've lost 1-2 weeks of vacation time every year I've worked here (and I'm working 80-100 hours a week. Looking forward to workng when I feel like it. Or not.

Divide your hourly wage by your lost time and it will make you sick to your stomach. Remember, if someone makes 200k/year working 80 hrs a week…that’s the same as someone making 100k/week working 40 hours. You aren’t making more…you’re just working more. I’ve never “missed” a day of work.

I've found that the more work I do, the less work people around me do. So I don't care anymore. Management doesn't care because the work gets done, regardless of who does it. I'm going to start making them miss me LOL.

I've found that the more work I do, the less work people around me do. So I don't care anymore. Management doesn't care because the work gets done, regardless of who does it. I'm going to start making them miss me LOL.

Management doesn’t care, but you have one life. You think you’ll look back in 10/20/30 years and think, “gee golly, I wish I worked more and took less vacation” ?!?

You have one life, give them an honest days work for an honest wage and LIVE your life before it’s too late. You will never regret it. I work the same job as 2 other guys. They both put in around 60-90 hours per week. I put in 40. We all get the same work done. I take 5-7 weeks of vacation a year, they take 3 weeks. Who’s getting paid more to “do less”.

Seth

If you are curious on options let me know. My wife and I have been diving BPW since our OW cert.

We are slaves to work too, but we zero our vacation time every year. Took 5 weeks last year and traveled all over South America, Central America, and the Caribbean. You will never make it to your death bed and say, “if only I worked one more day”

Divide your hourly wage by your lost time and it will make you sick to your stomach. Remember, if someone makes 200k/year working 80 hrs a week…that’s the same as someone making 100k/week working 40 hours. You aren’t making more…you’re just working more. I’ve never “missed” a day of work.

I'm in the beginning exploration stage. A couple of years ago I dove with a rented BP/wings . . . hopping in off of a boat . . . in an area I'd never been diving before. (I almost decided to call it after my confidence got beat up on a really rough shore dive the previous day.) Not necessarily the way to test out new gear - but I loved it. I'm open to suggestions.

As to work - it's mostly a labor of love. I absolutely love working with my students. I'm heading in tomorrow for a Saturday study session - with a smile on my face. No more than a week (and generally no more than a day) goes by without at least one of my students telling me how much they appreciate what I do for them. I will absolutely miss all of those days of "work" in the coming years. The atmosphere among my colleagues is toxic, however, and has been getting worse. The timing of my departure is not my choice, but the little job protection I have leaves me in the driver's seat as to most of the terms of my exit. So I'll be retiring, rather than being booted. While I would have chosen different timing, I'm ultimately glad to leave the toxic soup. The balance has been tipping more toward the toxin overwhelming the true joy I find in what I do, so it's time. If it was just my students and I . . . as the saying goes, find something you love, and you'll never work a day in your life.

As for money - I always do the math. My daughter makes more money per hour packing boxes at Amazon than I do with a college degree and two post-college degrees. Money has never been a driver for me. In my adult life, I've worked jobs that paid as little as $1.25/hour and as much as $90/hour. I've been fortunate for most of my life to be able to put more money in the bank than I take out, so retirement will be relatively comfortable. Beyond that, I don't fret over the details as long as I'm happy.

I'm in the beginning exploration stage. A couple of years ago I dove with a rented BP/wings . . . hopping in off of a boat . . . in an area I'd never been diving before. (I almost decided to call it after my confidence got beat up on a really rough shore dive the previous day.) Not necessarily the way to test out new gear - but I loved it. I'm open to suggestions.

As to work - it's mostly a labor of love. I absolutely love working with my students. I'm heading in tomorrow for a Saturday study session - with a smile on my face. No more than a week (and generally no more than a day) goes by without at least one of my students telling me how much they appreciate what I do for them. I will absolutely miss all of those days of "work" in the coming years. The atmosphere among my colleagues is toxic, however, and has been getting worse. The timing of my departure is not my choice, but the little job protection I have leaves me in the driver's seat as to most of the terms of my exit. So I'll be retiring, rather than being booted. While I would have chosen different timing, I'm ultimately glad to leave the toxic soup. The balance has been tipping more toward the toxin overwhelming the true joy I find in what I do, so it's time. If it was just my students and I . . . as the saying goes, find something you love, and you'll never work a day in your life.

As for money - I always do the math. My daughter makes more money per hour packing boxes at Amazon than I do with a college degree and two post-college degrees. Money has never been a driver for me. In my adult life, I've worked jobs that paid as little as $1.25/hour and as much as $90/hour. I've been fortunate for most of my life to be able to put more money in the bank than I take out, so retirement will be relatively comfortable. Beyond that, I don't fret over the details as long as I'm happy.

Not to fully derail, but we use the dive rite lightweight steal plate and the travel exp wing. It’s a very nice light travel setup, more than sufficient for single tank tropical diving. But, there are many great companies out there to pick from. I prefer dive rite and apeks.

As to work, you are fortunate. What’s that quote about doing something you love and then you won’t work a day in your life? It’s not that I don’t like what I do, but early on watching people working 100 hour weeks, I told myself that I’m working to live, not living to work.

Enjoy your adventures. Memories are much more timeless than “stuff”.

Seth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom