ScubaBoard divers age group

Diver survey ... which age group are you?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience of dive classes here (Australia) is that the majority are younger ie late teens early 20's with a few older people being the exception rather than the rule

Yes this is what I have experienced in Melbourne too. However, I don't tend to see heaps of young people on the charters who are not in classes... It seems lots of young people get certified but do not continue to dive... Or perhaps don't dive locally.

I am 39 years old and have been actively diving since I was 28. I plan on continuing diving until I physically am unable to do it any longer.(Hopefully that day never comes)

Yes this is what I have experienced in Melbourne too. However, I don't tend to see heaps of young people on the charters who are not in classes... It seems lots of young people get certified but do not continue to dive... Or perhaps don't dive locally.
Most young people might not have the time and money to dive as often or as much and go as frequently for "dive trips"?
I spend atleast 2,5-3k USD on a dive trip, something "most" young people probably dont put as high on their priorities as I might. Come to think of it, thats enough to buy a complete set of dive gear..

:hm:I seem to remember Luke at the dive shop saying their statistics indicate most of their students will not dive more than :hm: 2 years before losing interest. He said divers that stay 5 years are unusual and longer than that are the exception:blinking: I wonder what other shops are seeing:confused:

Last edited:
Seems to be a fairly even spread ... not exactly what I was expecting.

:shocked2:I actually thought there would be more in the 20s... more likely to be on internet forums, have more time and money to use on entertainment/sport....:blinking:

Everybody I know is either my age, older or younger....:wink:

the ratio looks like what i have initially think it would look like...

but, grumpie did surprise me there. :).

*high-fives SkipperJohn*

The young 30-something whippersnappers took the lead.

(one day I'm going to look up the origins of that word)

Back
Top Bottom