ScubaBoard divers age group

Diver survey ... which age group are you?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a feeling we'll see generally an older population. Diving just doesn't seem to be really on the radar for people in my generation (I'm 21). I suppose the costs probably don't help matters ...

From hanging around the LDS too long the impression I got from observation and talking to the owner that diving was more a young persons sport.

The LDS has its "oldies" group, of which I am a member, but the vast majority of divers are in the younger age brackets, so I was quite surprised when I joined scubaboard to see so many older divers.

Go Boomers! Kids are grown, finally moved out and we have a bit of disposable income. Our turn now. Uh oh, Grandkids!!!!

Great post, thanks!
& Yeah!!! My age group is winning!

I always thought of diving as an older person's sport actually :wink: Most people I know who dive are older than me (I'm 23)... I think people my age don't have enough cash to dive!

From hanging around the LDS too long the impression I got from observation and talking to the owner that diving was more a young persons sport.

The LDS has its "oldies" group, of which I am a member, but the vast majority of divers are in the younger age brackets, so I was quite surprised when I joined scubaboard to see so many older divers.
Really? That's interesting, when I go out to dive sites it's usually dominated by people somewhere in the 30-50 range. That said, diving may be a bit more relevant in Austraia so it's something more kids get into. I'm not sure.

Other than my dive buddy (who I had to convince to take the OW course with me) I really don't have any friends who dive or anything. They all seem to think it's cool on some level, just never really bothered to get certified or anything.

I always thought of diving as an older person's sport actually :wink: Most people I know who dive are older than me (I'm 23)... I think people my age don't have enough cash to dive!

I am 25 with almost no dives under my belt in comparison to you, also. I now have over 3000 dollars into it within a year's time frame. So far, I have purchased 9 tanks and 4 pairs of fins and believe me I work for it just as hard as you do. My younger sibling will be 21 by the time we pay off his complete gear setup and start his first class by the summer. You are not alone on this age group, brother.

I'm 55 and the wife is 53. The kids are educated, the house is practically paid for, and we're both in very stable jobs. This is the best time of our lives and we have ever intention to continue to enjoy making it so. :palmtree: Bob

I am 25 with almost no dives under my belt in comparison to you, also. I now have over 3000 dollars into it within a year's time frame. So far, I have purchased 9 tanks and 4 pairs of fins and believe me I work for it just as hard as you do. My younger sibling will be 21 by the time we pay off his complete gear setup and start his first class by the summer. You are not alone on this age group, brother.

Brother?? I'm female :wink:

3k, how I wish my dive budget was that low! This year I have spent at least 3 times that since getting my OW in Feb, but I do live in Australia where gear is a lot more expensive. Charters and training make up a bit part of my expense also. Most people our age, I find are starting to have a family, or have just taken out a mortgage, and things like that. Glad I work in IT... and don't have kids. And have a partner with a career as well, who I do not have to support. I don't know many people my age who can commit the money I do to diving so I think we are the exception, rather than the rule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom