Suggestion ScubaBoard Dive Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
mrvollmer

mrvollmer

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are several online and software applications out there for managing your Dive Log.
Macdive, DiveLog, mydivebook.com, etc...

However, in my opinion, they just haven't hit the mark in terms of usability, or content, nor have gained wide acceptance.

I believe that this forum (ScubaBoard) is uniquely positioned to create the ultimate Scuba Diver "Dive Log". After all, this is the place that we "divers" hang out most when not under water.

A good example of the type of online "Dive log" ScubaBoard should create is www.cellartracker.com. (now, I know it is a wine site, but the concept is sound, it is easy to use, and allows the sharing of information)

I think on online "Dive log" should be dive site driven (just as in cellartracker it is about the wine). A divers log would consist of a collection of dive sites with attributes (# of dives at that site, details, profiles, etc.) The diver can add their review of the dive site for others to see.

I will add additional thoughts, once I start getting some feedback.

What are your thoughts?

I still think bring something like this to Scubaboard would be worth the effort.

If ScubaBoard decides not to go down this trail, I guess diverecord, or something else will have to do.
Don't hold your breath just yet.

It is one of the many things that we will have a look at.

If there's widespread support for the addition of a dive log, then we'll check what's available out there (shareware or commercial). Should nothing be available out of the box, then we may consider building it ourselves.

Anyway, do not expect it in the near future.

Don't hold your breath just yet.

It is one of the many things that we will have a look at.

If there's widespread support for the addition of a dive log, then we'll check what's available out there (shareware or commercial). Should nothing be available out of the box, then we may consider building it ourselves.

Anyway, do not expect it in the near future.
Oh, sure... it's easy to sit on your high horse in the Netherlands... just waiting for SB to go down, so you can swoop in on your high horse and save the day.... lol

You haven't been challenged in 4-5 months... we need to put you on your toes before Invasion IV... lol

Sorry to necro an old thread but instead of having a separate app why not simply create a sub-forum dedicated to users creating dive log threads where they can post their logged dives?

A lot of workout forums have work out log sub-forums where people record their workouts like this Workout Logs - CrossFit Discussion Board. Thought it would be cool to see something similar here. Would make diving vicariously through others so much easier :)

I also like this idea. However, I think it needs to be able to do two things: talk to your computer and also be accessible by DAN. Perhaps I need to discuss this further with the good people at Dan.

:depressed: . . . umm, wet blanket here . . .

This is personal information that needs some serious legal thought. Example:

#1 - Joe Snuffy dives an aggressive dive, maybe some unplanned deco. AND he gets really sick. Turns out, there was some bad air.

Law suit against op ensues. Dive log is on line. That aggressive dive log could be used to defeat the bone fide lawsuit.

#2 - Diver logs bunches of dives, many aggressive. Diver dies. Insurance company finds logs, denies or reduces claim because diver never mentioned this 'more than recreational' diving in the application.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom