Suggestion ScubaBoard Dive Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
mrvollmer

mrvollmer

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are several online and software applications out there for managing your Dive Log.
Macdive, DiveLog, mydivebook.com, etc...

However, in my opinion, they just haven't hit the mark in terms of usability, or content, nor have gained wide acceptance.

I believe that this forum (ScubaBoard) is uniquely positioned to create the ultimate Scuba Diver "Dive Log". After all, this is the place that we "divers" hang out most when not under water.

A good example of the type of online "Dive log" ScubaBoard should create is www.cellartracker.com. (now, I know it is a wine site, but the concept is sound, it is easy to use, and allows the sharing of information)

I think on online "Dive log" should be dive site driven (just as in cellartracker it is about the wine). A divers log would consist of a collection of dive sites with attributes (# of dives at that site, details, profiles, etc.) The diver can add their review of the dive site for others to see.

I will add additional thoughts, once I start getting some feedback.

What are your thoughts?

Are you talking about a "personal" dive log or a "public" dive log?

Just curious...

Are you talking about a "personal" dive log or a "public" dive log?

Just curious...
Yes.... :D

Public if you choose... or personal if you want it to remain private...

I also like this idea. However, I think it needs to be able to do two things: talk to your computer and also be accessible by DAN. Perhaps I need to discuss this further with the good people at Dan.

I also like this idea. However, I think it needs to be able to do two things: talk to your computer and also be accessible by DAN. Perhaps I need to discuss this further with the good people at Dan.
Shoot!

Any discussion with DAN and it will be five years before we see anything... We had a beach ball in the air, and security came in... grabbed it ... popped it right in front of us... :D

I also like this idea. However, I think it needs to be able to do two things: talk to your computer

That would be excellent, but is it practical given all the different programs in which folks have logged their dives?

and also be accessible by DAN.

That should be at the user's option.

Just one little thing . . .
. . . if there were a catastrophic crash, your dive log could be long gone!

Same thing could happen on your home computer, but the loss would be the records of only one person, not many.

If one were to use it in conjunction with a redundant dive log, such as the old fashioned paper type, then concept might have merit.

Just my OPINION.

I think I'll just keep mine in my dive book.

the K

We do backup our Data frequently. Most likely we do more frequently than most home users backup their personal data. :wink:

... accessible by DAN ...
up to this point my thoughts were "here we have a classic solution in search of a problem. We already have a vast dive log here for various popular - and some not so popular - sites, in the form of dive reports, and a simple search brings 'em up."
But as a data collection point for DAN... now that has some merit, perhaps.
I'll still keep my paper log no matter what, as I can't stick little souvenirs like beer labels in a computer. (Yeah, I know I could scan stuff like that, but I want the real thing :) )
Rick

up to this point my thoughts were "here we have a classic solution in search of a problem. We already have a vast dive log here for various popular - and some not so popular - sites, in the form of dive reports, and a simple search brings 'em up."
But as a data collection point for DAN... now that has some merit, perhaps.
I'll still keep my paper log no matter what, as I can't stick little souvenirs like beer labels in a computer. (Yeah, I know I could scan stuff like that, but I want the real thing :) )
Rick

BEER LABELS! That's my kind of diving! but seriously...(I do the same thing with my paper log, but it's usually receipts with the sites name on it, or a stamp from the boat etc.)

I'm looking at it as a reference for new sites as well, Sure a lot of people file reports (and a lot don't) but knowing depth, temperature, interesting things and just seeing the name of the place gives some good insight to new places to dive.

I've been playing around with Dive Record. I really like it. I had not come across it in my searches before.

It has many of the features I was looking for in an online dive log. I really like the outline views, showing dives by month, temp, etc...

It would be interesting to view the data from either a diver perspective as well as from the Dive site perspective.

I still think bring something like this to Scubaboard would be worth the effort.

If ScubaBoard decides not to go down this trail, I guess diverecord, or something else will have to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom