Suggestion ScubaBoard Dive Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
mrvollmer

mrvollmer

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are several online and software applications out there for managing your Dive Log.
Macdive, DiveLog, mydivebook.com, etc...

However, in my opinion, they just haven't hit the mark in terms of usability, or content, nor have gained wide acceptance.

I believe that this forum (ScubaBoard) is uniquely positioned to create the ultimate Scuba Diver "Dive Log". After all, this is the place that we "divers" hang out most when not under water.

A good example of the type of online "Dive log" ScubaBoard should create is www.cellartracker.com. (now, I know it is a wine site, but the concept is sound, it is easy to use, and allows the sharing of information)

I think on online "Dive log" should be dive site driven (just as in cellartracker it is about the wine). A divers log would consist of a collection of dive sites with attributes (# of dives at that site, details, profiles, etc.) The diver can add their review of the dive site for others to see.

I will add additional thoughts, once I start getting some feedback.

What are your thoughts?

Do you use ScubaMan Dive Log? What are you thoughts about it?

Separately, I've been looking harder at mydivebook.com. I think they are going in the right direction.

However, I think they lack the audience that ScubaBoard has. Adding this type of Dive log to ScubaBoard would (in my opinion) be a natural extension to the community that has evolved here.

This would position ScubaBoard to be the definitive resource on Dive site info as well as everything else SCUBA (as it basically is.)

I don't use the application. I did a search for php divelog software. This one has good documentation and has a module for gear already.

If I have time, I will install it to one of my sites tonight and take a look at it. There are a few small programming issues I noticed already (mainly, the photo section will need a couple lines of code to call a photo from current SB photo areas, rather than the photo section set up in the application)

Also, understand that SB just balanced the servers to accomodate current needs. I cannot speak for them as to whether adding another MySQL database will work with that configuration, or have an impact on the current setup

Thanks for you input.
Diverecord looks nice.... I will take a more in depth look.

My main point was that maybe we should have something like this on ScubaBoard, and be the definitive Dive log. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there are several already out there. But in trying them out, I have always felt this could be done differently.

I believe with the established community here, a ScubaBoard Dive log could have the potential to be significant.

I envision Dive site reviews, tied to dive statistics for the dive site. User posted dive site pictures, etc..

In the end.. it is just a suggestion. I've been looking for the ultimate online dive log, and have not found it yet, so I figure there is room for another. Most other online dive logs have been developed based independently. Here we have the opportunity to gather input from people serious about there diving, and build something new, and different.

Ultimately, not just being another online dive log, but "The Online Dive Log" Just as Scubaboard is probably "The Scuba Forum"

I don't see why that should be a goal of Scubaboard, perhaps Pete feels differently. I know I've been using Diverecord.com since before there was a Scubaboard and I can't see me switching if Scubaboard installs a log.

Good point.

I hadn't come across diverecord.com before. I've registered and will try it out.

I also agree that it might not be a goal of scubaboard. But then again, maybe it could be. I don;t know.

I've been a member for a number of years, but have not been very active in terms of participation. I figured I'd just pose the suggestion, and see what the members of Scubaboard think.

thanks...

I can understand that, Walter. But, if there is enough desire for such a thing to be integrated with SB, I don't see why SB would not search for potential implementation.

As with everything else on SB, you can choose whether or not it works for you, or choose not to use it at all.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't use it myself (Not sure yet). I have my dives downloaded to my pc through both my dive computer and my dive watch computer... and still write them up in my paper log. That being stated, I don't see how it could harm SB to implement this... especially for new divers as they begin logging their own dives, and read others logs on the board for ideas, information and general planning...

I download my logs to my PC as well. I think in an ideal world you could upload your computer data to share with others. That would negate double data entry and would have the potential for wider acceptance and usage.

I know that the Sherwood/Aeris/Oceanic dive software uses MS Access to backend the data. It wouldn't take much work to give a way to push your logs to a MySQL database.

This is a good idea with merit. This however will be put on a VERY LONG list of current development needs which are at this point overwhelming to the support staff (that's me and El Orans) So - while I would love to see this - it would realistically be a few months before it even gets looked at.

I'm fine with a couple of months before initial review, you're providing a free service! I don't think any of us expect you to jump on demand. Keep up the good work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom