Suggestion ScubaBoard Chatroom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lord1234

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Why is there no official chatroom? It isn't hard to install a java applet into vbulletin as far as i know that connects to a specific IRC server and chatroom. This would easily allow users to communicate with each other in ways other than PM's. It would also give a place for instant feedback on thoughts/ideas.

--Lord1234

This has been brought up before. The mods are volunteers, and this being a moderated board, we would then moderate the chat room... no fun in my book. Besides, this is a SCUBA diving message board, not a chat room!

Scuba_Jenny:
This has been brought up before. The mods are volunteers, and this being a moderated board, we would then moderate the chat room... no fun in my book. Besides, this is a SCUBA diving message board, not a chat room!

its a moderated board(I think all boards are). The chatroom would be more like a hanging out place...mods could easily setup a bot that would kick for people who swore etc etc...
actual moderation would not be needed most likely. I would gladly help out in this effort if it was needed since I have lots of experience setting up these types of bots. Message boards are just extensions of chat rooms.

If ya really want to gab in a chat room, you can use the little chat setup on my website:

http://www.tropicalpc.net/babylon/

however, contrary to the posted text about messages and text, the chat is all logged to cover my butt legally. I'm not interested in reading convo's that went on but if the feds ask, its all theirs! :D

As explained many previous times we have no plans or desire to implement a chatroom as it presents a whole host of problems from bandwidth and resource usage to moderation requirements and many, many more.

Why not set up a new chatroom in yahoo or similiary hosted/moderated chat sites for scuba divers?

A lot of people log in from work (sometimes I'm one of them) and a lot of workplaces have Yahoo/MSN blocked through the proxy servers. Java applets however are, for the most part, not blocked.

Yahoo is moderated the same way we are. Local volunteers. Having been one whose run such chat rooms and even beta tested software for a large online serivce I can without a doubt tell you how much work and time involvement it is. For every hour online you had a guarantee of 30-45 minutes off line with documentation, follow up, saving log files, etc...

If ScubaBoard to endorses and links to a chatroom we may as well run one ourselves. By farming people off to another site we have no guarantee of that site's integrity, that the site will be moderated to a level that is acceptable (either over moderated and a dead place or under moderated and a rude place). Basically we don't feel that a chatroom fits within our model at this time, there isn't much more to it.

Back
Top Bottom