Scuba vs. Snorkeling Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I was wondering what the difference is between scuba and snorkeling fins if there is one. I just bought new split "snorkeling" fins which are amazing, but will they stand up to the scuba test?

What makes you define yous splits as snorkeling fins?

In general any good fin is suitable for either form of diving though preference may dictate otherwise.

Pete

My friends bought me all my fins. They are a split fin and although I don't have a lot of dives in yet, I find that they work great. Years ago, I used my bro-in-laws heavy Jet fins and found that they basically wore me out. I'm a cyclist and have pretty strong legs if that makes a difference, but I have no problem cruising with fins.

First let's agree that a snorkeling fin is full foot and a scuba fin has a heel strap. By design, snorkeling fins USUALLY have a smaller blade area and will not be as stiff as a scuba fin. They are meant to be used to propell a streamlined body through the water without the feeling of having pieces of plywood strapped to your feet.. The scuba fin is designed bigger and stiffer to push the same body through the water but with the added resistance of 50 lbs+ of not-so-streamlined gear. Can snorkel fins be used on a nice calm slow dive? Sure! But will they be adequate to fight that unexpected current, or to tow your buddy back to the boat in an emergency situation? It's like seatbelts and fire extinguishers; we don't have them around because we always need them, we have them around because we know we could be put in a situation where we could not survive without them.

Sorry, didn't mean to be so patronizing, not in a great mood tonight, been out of the water too long...

shotthebreeze:
well, the item description pretty much defined it. i assume that they'll be good for just about anything though...

It really gets into the whole understanding and religion of fins.

For instance if you are talking about skin-diving in New England which is very overlooked for purposes of traversing rocks and keeping your feet warm an open heel fin and booties are mandated. Traversing coral beaches for a warm water skin dive barefooted is no bowl of peaches either. From this you can see that the setting can have a lot to do with what fin you need before you. Jumping off a boat or on a sandy beach an open heel may suit you fine if you can avoid blisters.

As matjo 1 mentioned spit fins will provide less thrust than a full paddle fin. What you need for a gentle dive , a run in with current or a rescue can require more thrust than a split can provide.

Meanwhile you need to train with the right fin or you will be crippled with cramps. If you are an infrequent diver then snorkeling laps in a public pool is top notch conditioning. If you want to to train in a gym make sure you do diversified leg work, A bike will not get you there. A bike pedaled backwards can help get you ready for a lot of flutter kicking in fins.

Finally if this was a "snorkel set" that you bought my experience has been that the splits may flat out break before you know it.

My wife and I both dive open heel Aeris Velocities and they are nice for skin and scuba diving.

Pete

shotthebreeze:
these fins have an open heel and the split fin aspect is what i was banking on for "speed" with little effort...

Go for it since you have them. I did not care for my Atomic splits but a buddy swears by his. They will move you along with minimal strain.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom