Scuba Tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. I have too much respect for what a propeller can do to various and sundry body parts in the blink of an eye to even think about doing this. I'm surprised that you as a DM would do such a thing. If the captain had to move the boat for some emergency I doubt he would first wonder if there was somebody up against the bottom of his boat, upside down with no fins on..... especially not the DM.:confused:
I think I would stay away from a boat op that fires off it's engines without divers accounted for, no pre-arranged /discussed emergency procedures, possible divers in the water, and/or a check for the divers before starting.

I think I read it on SB before, where one diver used to carry a pair of sunglasses under with him and would take his mask off and put the glasses on for his Safety stop and then come out with them on instead of his mask.

I love doing the upside down reef dive. Just cruising along inverted. Another favorite of mine, is while hanging on the line trying to crush the upcoming bubbles. if you squish them they explode in thousands of smaller ones. The more divers coming up the line the harded it is to keep up. No bubble may go uncrushed:D

One of my dive buddies has a plastic crab we like messing with new divers with, especially new divers with a camera. What we do is my buddy places the crab in the sand away from any reef structure. My job is to get all excited and bang on my tank to get the new divers to come check out the dumb looking bright orange crab with blue eyes (cooked Dungeness). Most people just look at it, smile, and swim away. Had one group of divers from a boat, have no idea where they came from but just dove right through our group of divers. The crab came out and when this diver came over with about a $20,000 camera and housing. He took a whole bunch of pictures. When I finally finished laughing and was able keep the regulator in my mouth, reached out and grabbed the crab to put in my BC pocket. I didn't see it but the diver with the expensive camera took a swing to the back of my head, according to my buddy, guess I'm lucky objects appear closer underwater.

I picked up a sea urgin once and stick (using it's sucking pads, not it's spines...) it onto my bare leg and swam slowly past the rest of the group. I think they are still wondering how it came there...

Okay for you ALF-guys out there: the creature came out UNHARMED and was just replaced on the rocks about 10m from its original pickup spot.:D

a circle with thumb and forefinger of one hand and thrust all four fingers of the other hand into it. Hint: first word "cluster".

Hey! A rude gesture I didn't learn in my OW class 18 years ago! Thank you! I see it coming into use before long...

Hey! A rude gesture I didn't learn in my OW class 18 years ago! Thank you! I see it coming into use before long...

Heh heh. My wife came up with it the time we were in a small group on a night dive on Paradise and some cattle boat op came up and dropped 20-30 novice divers right on top of us. They were all flailing about, crashing into each other and the reef, trying to find their DM's, etc. My wife and I just swam off to the side and watched the spectacle. She looked at me and made the sign, and I understood it immediately.

I think I would stay away from a boat op that fires off it's engines without divers accounted for, no pre-arranged /discussed emergency procedures, possible divers in the water, and/or a check for the divers before starting.
I agree, but I'm still staying away from the propeller. It may be a visceral and illogical concern, but I give the props a wide berth. YMMV, and that's cool.

"night dive on Paradise and some cattle boat op came up and dropped 20-30 novice divers right on top of us. They were all flailing about, crashing into each other and the reef, trying to find their DM's, etc."
The perfect situation for the perfect uw sign.

Been there, seen that!!
The other end of the dive, too: We'd done our stop, and as we surfaced, a bovine-boat ascended all around us, flailing, losing equipment, freaking out... We made at least two rescues to get them safely back to their boat. Don't know where their DM was. Maybe one of the rescues?

One of my dive buddies has a plastic crab we like messing with new divers with, especially new divers with a camera. What we do is my buddy places the crab in the sand away from any reef structure. My job is to get all excited and bang on my tank to get the new divers to come check out the dumb looking bright orange crab with blue eyes (cooked Dungeness). Most people just look at it, smile, and swim away. Had one group of divers from a boat, have no idea where they came from but just dove right through our group of divers. The crab came out and when this diver came over with about a $20,000 camera and housing. He took a whole bunch of pictures. When I finally finished laughing and was able keep the regulator in my mouth, reached out and grabbed the crab to put in my BC pocket. I didn't see it but the diver with the expensive camera took a swing to the back of my head, according to my buddy, guess I'm lucky objects appear closer underwater.

See my post onrelated thread re rare blue Carribean frogfish. Pure gold. Although my camera was only worth about $200 - still funny! Turns out rest of the divers in the group were in on the gag, expressing astonishment and wonder and adding to my excitement of the find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom