Scuba Tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think every captain I've dived with turns off the engines when boarding divers. My concern is not that the engine is on, it's that if the captain had to move the boat for some other emergency (another boat approaching at speed, an injured diver brought to the surface at some distance, etc.) he would likely clear the area around him in a hurry, fire up the engine and off he goes, with you "standing" on the bottom of the boat with no fins on. That little joke could turn tragic before you could do anything.

I am happy that the op I use in Cozumel would frown on doing this. Diving is risky enough (that's why we like it), but adding that activity to the mix seems unnecessary. Looks like I'm in the minority though, I'm surprised at how popular it is to do.
according to the international colregs no person may operate a vessel within 50 feet of a code-a or diver down flag. The engine is to be off.

according to the international colregs no person may operate a vessel within 50 feet of a code-a or diver down flag. The engine is to be off.

Makes no diff to me; I'm not going anywhere near a propeller.

Take a lemon(s) with you. They are netural in the water and fun to play with during the safety stop.

Break a raw egg under water. The presure holds the yoke together like an underwater super ball.

A fun one I do sometimes is while everyone is getting on the boat I take off my fins and inflate my BCD and walk upside down on the bottom of the boat. Hard to balance if the sea is rough and extra hard on a small boat.

I gotta go with jayjoans on this one. Not particularly bright or professional of a dive leader. How are you going to feel if one day one of your impressionable new divers tries this on his/her own and gets hurt because they don't know what they're doing. Aside form the propellers, I can also see a diver with little experience over inflating, overshooting the boat and shooting to the surface.

I will not even mention the existence of the Warhammer Maneuver. Nope. Not me.

Well now to find something to gouge my eyes out with, I wish I would not have googled that right after breakfast. Gross but funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom