SCUBA-Transport Honda CRV ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are three divers, two tanks each, plus equipment planning our dry suit course. If it weren't for tanks, we would be fine for payload, so I am thinking, " rent tanks local", then we get all the way to, say Rochester, Cape Ann, or Block Island, and just drive the tank load a short distance.
What I admire and drool over in The Chairman's set up is the dehumidifier-drying out capability, the charging station, the fridge!!!!
I can split the second row of seats and fold two down for more cargo space. I am heading to Harbor Freight and Rhode Island JobLot to see what mini-versions of fridge, dehumidifier and charging battery set ups look like.
Quite a fun summer project!

No frige yet. I haven't decided on that. I want to add a refrigerator and a roof top AC. It gets hot here in Florida. :D

I have been watching thread about The Chairman as he builds his SCUBA Van. I don't have a van.
Has anyone fixed up their Honda CRV cargo area, or any small SUV hatchback, for carrying SCUBA GEAR? I have four divers, so I can't take out seats. Wondering if there is some efficient way to approach this and willing to build, but don't want to reinvent if there is already someone with good ideas.

Most interesting project. I like it!
I can't really tell you how to go about it as I do not have the vehicle to make plans on...BUT if it can be done on a 1969 Fiat 850 Spyder..(w/doubles).....I would guess a Honda is a possibility...but certainly a challenge.

I know the Fiat Project turned a few heads around San Diego and Laguna Beach a few mo...yea...decades back.
Word of advice ...THRU BOLT....anything that will be a hold down for tanks and FORGET BUNGEE cord.

Good luck to you and have fun. These types of projects can be all of that and more.
Involve your friends and their ideas as well.

Tim

Look into rear suspension upgrades if you plan to frequently haul lots of gear. Some are inexpensive and easy to install, some are more involved.

I put air springs ($100 & 5 mins to install) in my Honda fit and it easily handles 4 sets of doubled 130s, 6 stages, 4 deco bottles, 2 scooters, and full gear for 2 tech/cave divers with some room left. And it still gets over 40mpg with the AC running.

Back
Top Bottom