Scuba tanks messed up my car

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GOAT:
burn the car. buy a truck (a real, made in the USA Truck).

Or just beef up the suspension on your nice, well engineered and well built japanese car.
I can already hear all the angry posts this'll generate. I'd rather ride my bike than drive a North American car. There are some exceptions of course, I speak in general.

It wasn't me. :D

My preferred dive buggy is a 98 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4. What with gas prices, more often we haul it down in our 4 door Saturn (we have a 2 hr+ drive to the coast).

I haven't found a load that'll make my Chevy sit down. I've used it on deer junts to haul as many as 14 grown men through rough contry to be dropped on stand sites, avg wt easily 200 lbs each. It doesn't even blink with a load of dive gear.

The Saturn, well it does OK. But 2 divers & their gear & it's full. That's with either 2 or 3 tanks per diver. In either case, we're making use of the back seat for stuff, not people. I do think it's taking a toll on the rear shocks.

RonDawg:
Actually, it's not the shocks themselves that have collapsed, but either the springs or possibly one of the suspension components have failed. However, the Altima (like many Japanese and European cars) uses what's called a "McPherson Strut" which is a combined spring and shock absorber unit.

As long as you have not exceeded the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of your Altima, there is no reason to blame the carrying of scuba tanks for the problem you are having. As with most modern cars, your Altima was equipped with 3 seatbelts in the back, meaning Nissan meant the car to carry 3 average sized adults in the back...though they don't pretend it's going to be a comfortable ride :11: You'd need quite a few scuba tanks to equal that much weight.

BTW what year is your Altima? Reason I ask is because of your location(s) and the harsh winters, which means road salt. If it's an older car, it wouldn't be unusual for suspension mounting points to rust through, particularly the rear strut mountings (when you open the trunk, it's the long cylndrical shaped bulges above the wheel arches). Also, if NYC's roads are as bad as people say, the constant pounding of potholes could eventually cause suspension failures, especially if already weakened by road salt.

i've never seen a car with mcpherson struts in the rear!

they are on the front.

on the rears you have a shock absorber and a spring (either coil or leaf).

the car would sit low if the shock absorber failed, but without seeing it it is hard to say.

does it bounce for ages when you bounce the back up and down?

if not then you have probably but a spring

GOAT:
burn the car. buy a truck (a real, made in the USA Truck).

Meh. I've used the following cars:

99 Civic Si
01 Integra GS-R
04 RSX

to haul around my gear for diving the Calfornia Coast and I haven't had any problems. Unless you're pulling around a big boat with that truck or hauing around a ton of gear, you're wasting gas and polluting the air for no reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom