Scuba Road Trip Through Florida? Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert H. Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wife and I want to take a trip this late fall /early “winter.” We live in Alabama so Florida is just a few hours away. We want to take a couple weeks and and dive a bunch of different places. Any suggestions from the top to bottom of the state are welcome. Springs or salt water, doesn’t matter. Look forward to hearing what you have to say. We have been to Panama City and dove there as well as vortex and Morrison spring. We are both AOW, nitrox, deep, Drysuit certified, NOT cave or tech….yet….

Hi Robert! If you're going to be on the West coast. Venice Beach area I recommend Aristikat charters for some fossil and shark teeth diving. For the East coast try Salt Divers in Jupiter for shark diving. Feel free to message me when you know where staying and I can help you with some more suggestions. Too many to list. I might even join you if I'm not working.

See if the goliath grouper (fall) or lemon shark (winter) aggregations line up with your travel dates in the Jupiter area.

While you're 'in the neighborhood,' be sure to hit Blue Heron Bridge one day for a unique shallow shore diving experience you'll fondly remember.

From Jupiter, you're maybe a half-hour from West Palm Beach? You could dive there, too. And not that far from Miami. You could try Zoo Miami, Jungle Island, Lion Country Safari or other area attractions while passing through.

Eventually you get down to the Florida Keys. The upper Keys (Key Largo and Islamorada) seem to get the most interest for diving on the forum.

Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html

Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html

Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Trip Report - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report

I've only done 1 Florida Spring dive, at Alexander Spring - like a giant Mexican sombrero flipped upside down and filled with water, with a vegetated perimeter and lots of animals (e.g.: varied fish, turtles, saw a small alligator topside). A lengthy drift dive down Rainbow River sounds fun, but I've never done that.

See if the goliath grouper (fall) or lemon shark (winter) aggregations line up with your travel dates in the Jupiter area.

While you're 'in the neighborhood,' be sure to hit Blue Heron Bridge one day for a unique shallow shore diving experience you'll fondly remember.

From Jupiter, you're maybe a half-hour from West Palm Beach? You could dive there, too. And not that far from Miami. You could try Zoo Miami, Jungle Island, Lion Country Safari or other area attractions while passing through.

Eventually you get down to the Florida Keys. The upper Keys (Key Largo and Islamorada) seem to get the most interest for diving on the forum.

Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html

Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html

Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Trip Report - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report

I've only done 1 Florida Spring dive, at Alexander Spring - like a giant Mexican sombrero flipped upside down and filled with water, with a vegetated perimeter and lots of animals (e.g.: varied fish, turtles, saw a small alligator topside). A lengthy drift dive down Rainbow River sounds fun, but I've never done that.

Thanks!

Two things I hate that I’ve missed in Florida.

The Weeki Wachee Mermaids. At one point, if one threw money at the Office, they’d let you Scuba with the girls. At this point in my life, I would simply say, “How much?” (And will you take pictures of me?)

Manatee.

Lots of great dive sites along the Southeast coast ... Jupiter, Palm Beach, Boynton Beach, Pompano Beach, Ft. Lauderdale. Each of those areas have great diving and are worth a day or two of diving each. Literally dozens of scuba charters to choose from in this area.

There are a couple of shore diving sites worth visiting in Southeast FL ... Blue Heron Bridge (in Riviera Beach) and Lauderdale-by-the-Sea.

Key Largo/Tavernier/Islamorada in the Upper Keys. Lots of charter operators in this area hitting the reefs and wrecks just offshore.

On the Southwest Coast, there is a boat (yes ... one boat ... Psychquatic) that operates out of Marco Island that hits the near and off shore sites off of the Southwest coast. Dive Day & Pricing

The Springs are a fun way to spend a day or two. Blue Grotto & Devil's Den in Williston and Paradise Spring in Ocala, plus a few more.

Venice fossil diving is worth a day. Some love it, for me it was once was enough. But it is worth doing at least once.

I can't speak to anything north of Venice nor the Panhandle, but it sounds like you may know that area already.

Check out the Florida forum for lots of dive reports and advice for most of these areas.

Not sure what part of Alabama you'll be driving from, but if your trip passes through Pensacola I'd say the diving there is a bit better than Panama City, and the Oriskany is a pricey trip but worth doing at least 1 day -- it's pretty far off-shore, and sits deep, but there is still plenty to see within recreational dive limits to enjoy a 2-tank dive trip. I was really impressed by all of the colorful coral/sponge growth.

Heading east, I'd be tempted to stop in Crystal River -- you can do a morning snorkel with the manatees there (at least while in season, and I think some stay there year round now), and you can also do a scuba dive drifting down Rainbow River, which looks interesting. (Check Groupon for American Pro Diving)

Then I'd go to the east coast or Keys. I really enjoyed diving in both in Jupiter (with Scuba Works - also check Groupon) and in West Palm/Riviera Beach (with Walker's). And the Blue Heron Bridge is definitely worth checking out, but check the tide chart to be sure it works with your schedule. From my limited experience, it's easier to find somewhat reasonably priced lodging near the dive ops on the east coast of Florida, whereas at least Key Largo prices for lodging always seem high (though some dive ops have some pretty good package deals). On the other hand, it's worth noting that I believe tanks are included in the pricing for at least some of the bigger Key Largo dive ops, but are not included with most dive ops I researched in the Jupiter/West Palm/Riviera Beach area.

Back
Top Bottom