Scuba Pro second stages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DTB1981

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am looking for a new reg. I am AOW diver and will be taking the deep dive specialty I noticed that my unbalanced breaths hard at 100 ft and want to get a new balanced reg before then.

So I am down to three Scuba Pro models they are all the MK25 first stage. The second stages are the G250HP, S550 and S600.

The G250HP is the cheapest; it has all the fetchers of the S600 but is the older bigger reg

The S550 is the same as the S600 but without the diver adjustable inhalation control I don’t know if I would use it.

The S600 is the most expensive of all but there is only a $60 difference between it and the G250 and a $40 difference with the S550

Any one have any thoughts on what one I should get I am thinking the S550 but not too sure.

The S600 wasn't available when I bought mine. I have no problems and doubt I'd use that adjustment anyway. I use it in Lake Michigan, the Caribbean, and places in between.

Juls

I have the G250 and it has been great.

Smaller is not automatically better. The apparent weight on land is greatly diminished underwater and the little regs have a harder time clearing the exhaust. The G250 has been around forever for a reason - it works well, is reliable as hell and is easy to maintain and repair.

Rent them all and try them inwater before you decide, if you can.

I have a G250 and it's fantastic both with the mk25 and the DS4

I have the S600 and to be honest, I never use the flow adjustment (I guess I just like to have ALL the air possible :11ztongue ). I have used the pre-dive/dive adjustment when waiting on the surface of doing a surface swim with snorkle. If I were to do it again, I would have chosen to save myself a few bucks on the second stage. All of the Scubapro second stages are very well made you should be fine!

I think that there is a lot of hype around the adjustable second stages, but it olny works right if you keep your reg properly tuned. Otherwise it makes little difference.

I have not seen it yet on this post but someone will come along shortly and note that due to the larger surface area of the G250, it has a slightly lighter inhalation effort.

Personally, I think that you are getting a good deal if the 600 is only a $60 upgrade, and I would go for it.

I was told the G250 and the S600 insides are the same but the 550 and 600 are just more comfortable. The repair tech told me to go with the 550 because he can adjust it to where I want over a couple of dives.
The G250 is going for $305 at the LDS. With the MK25

I prefer the G250 to the S600 in cold water as the S600 has a tendency to freeflow slightly in very cvold water unless pretty drastically detuned, in which case you could just save a lot of cash and dive with an R390. The G250 is bullet proof and offers excellent performance.

When it comes to regulators, they are regulators, not cell phones and I am not a "smaller is better" fan when it comes to second stages. I cannot think of any reason to pay extra money for the smaller S600 when the G250 has identical internal components, a larger diaphragm, and an identical feel in the water (the G250 is very slightly heavier, but it also displaces more water, so it's a wash.)

Back
Top Bottom