Scuba pro jetfins and leg cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
I recently tried my Scubapro jetfins. I have to admit thet were different then any other fins I have used. My buddy says he gets leg cramps with them. Any good way of avoiding this that actually works?

Rooster1 once bubbled...
Any good way of avoiding this that actually works?

Probably the main reason for using the jetfins is for control and subtle movements with the various kicks, not necessarily speed and power (although they're capable).

Are you a "sprint" diver? Are you in constant motion? Are you using the standard straight leg flutter?

Vary your kicking. Frog kick and modified frog are great not only because of the upward vectoring of the water (hence less silt or bottom damage), but it has a rest cycle to it. Take advantage of that glide.

Use the modified flutter a bit also. Uses muscles in a different way.

Also, a big one... stop (or at least slow down) and smell the roses along the way. Not only will you see more than you thought was there, but you also rest your legs AND increase your air consumption.

Good Luck,
wb

cwb once bubbled...

Probably the main reason for using the jetfins is for control and subtle movements with the various kicks, not necessarily speed and power (although they're capable).

Are you a "sprint" diver? Are you in constant motion? Are you using the standard straight leg flutter?

Vary your kicking. Frog kick and modified frog are great not only because of the upward vectoring of the water (hence less silt or bottom damage), but it has a rest cycle to it. Take advantage of that glide.

Use the modified flutter a bit also. Uses muscles in a different way.

Also, a big one... stop (or at least slow down) and smell the roses along the way. Not only will you see more than you thought was there, but you also rest your legs AND increase your air consumption.

Good Luck,
wb

I do various kinds of diving Wreck, Quarries, Rivers which usually have different conditions. I know When I am in a fast current river I need sprint speed and thrust to get out of some over powering current which means a lot of kicking.

Mine did not give me cramps when I switched over from Mares Avanti Quattros.

The type fin you've been using may make a big difference; if you've been using very soft fins it MIGHT cramp you a bit until you get used to a stiffer fin. What fins are you used to using?

WW

Rooster1 once bubbled...

I do various kinds of diving Wreck, Quarries, Rivers which usually have different conditions. I know When I am in a fast current river I need sprint speed and thrust to get out of some over powering current which means a lot of kicking.

I've not done any river diving yet, but I hear that the St Clair can be a real treat, especially with Freighters around....

Are you able to utilize much in the way of "pull and glide" or "grab and go" under those conditions?

The jets will certainly give you some of that sprinting capability, but you don't want to be doing it for a long time.

wb

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Mine did not give me cramps when I switched over from Mares Avanti Quattros.

The type fin you've been using may make a big difference; if you've been using very soft fins it MIGHT cramp you a bit until you get used to a stiffer fin. What fins are you used to using?

WW

I primarily use a trusty pair of Tilos fins that are beaten bad from some of the river diving I do and they were originally stiff but no more.

Other then the Tilos I have used a pair of Tusa (don't like much) but these jet fins feel different. I have not used them yet in the open water yet under my normal diving conditions, just in a pool last week during our Scuba club pool night and I immediately felt the difference on my calfs and I am a little concerned with the potential cramping problem

cwb once bubbled...

I've not done any river diving yet, but I hear that the St Clair can be a real treat, especially with Freighters around....

Are you able to utilize much in the way of "pull and glide" or "grab and go" under those conditions?

The jets will certainly give you some of that sprinting capability, but you don't want to be doing it for a long time.

wb

Most of my diving in the the better months is in the St. Clair River. I have been in Quarries, Tobermory, Caribbean and Great lakes diving and I have never had more demanding diving then the St. Clair River! That current is thrilling if you know how to get out of it. We usually dive River with both the currents with river sticks to help pull ourselves out because finning alone is very difficult.

Bob3 once bubbled...
Your legs will get used to having more meat on your feet, it's just a matter of building up muscles & adjusting finning techniques.

Just keep kickin'! :wink:

Coming from Tusas, generally known to have little "kick", your legs will just need to get used to the extra beef. It won't take long, just stick with it, soon you'll be doing great and will have a lot of extra power when needed.

WW

I felt the power of the fin in the pool and I have faith in them as far as getting me moving, I just don't want to deal with painful leg cramps in the wrong environment:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom