Question SCUBA PRO G260 TUNE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calabash digger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HOW? I dont service my regs...How do I need to tell the guy at the dive shop to tune my reg for ease breathing..

All the way out correct?
All the way out is the easiest to start air flow or least cracking effort. Whenever the reg is in your mouth, it should be turned all the way out.

The only time it should be turned in is when you are on the water surface and the SS is out of your mouth to prevent free flow of the second stage. You use the knob also if the second stage starts to leak air so you turn the knob in until the leak stops.

You should store the regulator with the knob all the way out.

Servicing regulators, and tuning (2nd stage) regulators are two different things. You can adjust a 2nd-stage regulator fairly easily with (usually) just a flat-head screw driver about as wide as the inside of that round hole. Many scuba-multitools also have the appropriate size screw-driver. I believe the G260 is the flat-head style.

The super-basic process is to first remove the 2nd stage from the hose. Then look inside the 2nd stage where the hose was attached. Then rotate (I forget if it's clockwise or counter-clockwise) about a quarter turn, re-attach to the hose, pressurize your regulators and see if if "leaks" (free-flow). If no leaks, you can rotate a little more, and check again. It'll eventually "leak" after which you should turn back about 1/4 turn.

There are also specialty tools, which make the process easier. With a $20 tool, you can insert it between the regulator and hose, and adjust the regulator with the hose pressurized, until it leaks, and then turn back a little. Way easier/faster than removing/installing the reg a bunch of times. There's another tool with a pressure-gauge that is closer to $60 to $80 which works even better, but if you're only adjusting your own regulator rarely, it's probably not worth it.

Look up YouTube videos on the subject if my description is confusing.

edit:

That’s is the tool @SlugMug mentioned, can be bought easily from DGX, piranha or eBay. This gauge allows you to see what is the IP of the first stage.

9413BD2E-EF8F-4DA7-8A6E-E6AEFD04E075.jpeg

If you remove your LP hose and look inside the regulator side you will see a slot, that flat edge allows tune Scubapro Regulators.

FEFA74B7-4534-4D65-B2B8-4562BF83AA15.jpeg

You can adjust cracking effort by simply manipulating that with flat head screwdriver and then sinking the regulator into bucket of water, diaphragm facing down and what do you want is regulator starts free flow little over an inch of water.

If you have many second stages or you want to be precise you can also invest a magnehelic gauge that help you to determine cracking effort without submerging your regulator. 0-3 inch ones has better visual range.

F94B406D-AA4A-46A5-AFD2-ED570163F654.jpeg

Thanks , I will be learning how to do this. I have found with my other gear that when I adjust it works best for me rather than someone else doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom