Scuba Police @ Philadelphia Quarry, TN (Lambertsen rebreather trials)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, this is killing me: of what conceivable importance could it be of which agency certified someone?

it might lend itself to being certified in the first place eh?

sent via nookcolor N2A.

And of what conceivable importance is being certified?

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or what. But I'll laugh at this because of the absurdity of it if you are serious.

You do realize I'm talking about certified for scuba right?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or what. But I'll laugh at this because of the absurdity of it if you are serious.

You do realize I'm talking about certified for scuba right?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

You do realize you are posting in the Vintage section, right?

Many of us started diving before today's certification agencies came into existence. Many of us "acquired" cards because shops starting asking for them to get air fills, and some charters began asking for them.

You realize there is no requirement for scuba certification to dive, right?

And because there is no requirement for scuba certification to dive, the question of "which agency" is specious and meaningless.

EDIT: Today scuba "certification" courses are readily available, and there is no reason not to avail oneself of the distilled training in such course. I would not advocate that anyone in today's society learn the way many of us did forty years ago; these were the steps: never hold your breath, when you descend pinch your nose and breathe into it, when it gets hard to breathe, pull the rod and come up, do not come up faster than your slowest bubble. Carry a really really big knife.

You do realize that this is a private quarry.
You do realize that there are rules in this quarry.
You do realize that it is a requirement to be certified to dive at this private quarry.
You do realize that the OP is probably not old enough to have started diving BEFORE the agencies. Remember mom was there.
You do realize it is the responsibility of the instructor, who has a business at stake, to ensure the quarry rules are followed so he can continue to utilize the quarry. Imagine the ramifications for him personally, and his livelihood if something had happened.
You do realize that if the OP wants to dive/work on his "vintage" gear he should probably do it where he doesn't put other's businesses, or livelihood at risk.

What bothers me is that there are participants in this thread that are respected members and instructors. They of all people should know that "monday morning quarterbacking" is inappropriate especially since they were not present. We all know that when someone is telling their side of the story it has a bias.

As "vintage" divers you would think a respect for others would be paramount to preserve and encourage the growth of "vintage" diving.

I was all about not diving the Philedelphia quarry again based on the OP's opening post. Now that I've talked to the other party, and know what kind of guy he is, I'd say the OP has some unexplained issues. I've looked at his profile and I saw no agency listed. Anyone can claim an expertise, but it has no validity w/o substantiation. Therefore, why would he, or should he, be allowed to come into a PRIVATE location, endanger himself, which is a legitimate concern based on the OP's post.

Back on topic, there are two sides to this story.

ETA: I've been diving for almost 30 yrs. I'm not a certification lover, but I do think there is a benefit to having at least some proof of training.

Well there is scuba police then at the quarry, and TNR you mentioned that you were discouraged about diving there cause of the op's post, so in a way you do not like to be criticized at the dive site also. Arguments create a huge safety issue in people who are going to do a task that can take your life (DIVING) so it has no factor if they are certified or not, they are aware of what must be done to do a dive. The instructor is putting a pressure on a diver in front of others and the mother was also involved and now you have a confidence that has been altered during your dives.

What if the mother did go diving while upset and died, and this went to court that an instructor on the beach was harassing her before her next dive, I would prove second degree murder and remember the gopro camera is small, cell phone is small so you really need to be careful on what you say to other divers while diving.

Myself I just sit back and watch and make friends even if they are very annoying. I look at there gear and watch as they assemble their gear and ask where they have been diving lately. Then I have an Idea of what to expect while I am in the water and these other divers are also in the same area.

The quarry is more less a pool the way it is set up so there are instructors who feel this is their area and must let divers no they are the authority (SCUBA POLICE) so now this is where the problem lies and in order to keep it successful and open all must understand that scuba diving is something that you want to do as it is a self enduring thing to participate in with others and should not be condoned of the way they dive or the gear they use.

I love the ocean and solo diving, I have recently ended up with a surf yak and it is light enough to carry and it will teach me how to become a freediver, I will most likely die trying this cause I will have no buddy, and will have a black out trying to get my personal best. For now I will practice spearfishing, then I will dive a wreck a wall and some deep reefs in front of my house.

Everyone makes there decision on what they want to achieve on there dive outing, it is not someone else's job to discourage from that.

Well there is scuba police then at the quarry, and TNR you mentioned that you were discouraged about diving there cause of the op's post, so in a way you do not like to be criticized at the dive site also. Arguments create a huge safety issue in people who are going to do a task that can take your life (DIVING) so it has no factor if they are certified or not, they are aware of what must be done to do a dive. The instructor is putting a pressure on a diver in front of others and the mother was also involved and now you have a confidence that has been altered during your dives.

What if the mother did go diving while upset and died, and this went to court that an instructor on the beach was harassing her before her next dive, I would prove second degree murder and remember the gopro camera is small, cell phone is small so you really need to be careful on what you say to other divers while diving.

Myself I just sit back and watch and make friends even if they are very annoying. I look at there gear and watch as they assemble their gear and ask where they have been diving lately. Then I have an Idea of what to expect while I am in the water and these other divers are also in the same area.

The quarry is more less a pool the way it is set up so there are instructors who feel this is their area and must let divers no they are the authority (SCUBA POLICE) so now this is where the problem lies and in order to keep it successful and open all must understand that scuba diving is something that you want to do as it is a self enduring thing to participate in with others and should not be condoned of the way they dive or the gear they use.

I love the ocean and solo diving, I have recently ended up with a surf yak and it is light enough to carry and it will teach me how to become a freediver, I will most likely die trying this cause I will have no buddy, and will have a black out trying to get my personal best. For now I will practice spearfishing, then I will dive a wreck a wall and some deep reefs in front of my house.

Everyone makes there decision on what they want to achieve on there dive outing, it is not someone else's job to discourage from that.

My concern with this particular quarry based on the OP was that people would ride rough shod over you so to speak. For example I have read that equipment is moved (relocated onto the ground) etc. I know the instructor and he is not a "respect my authority" type of guy. He is a very humble man and has the heart of a teacher. I feel certain that he had good cause to say something to this young man. Again, not knowing all the facts hurts the discussion. Everyone is so busy crying "freeeeeedooooommm" that we loose track of the real issue.

Arguments create a huge safety issue in people who are going to do a task that can take your life (DIVING) so it has no factor if they are certified or not, they are aware of what must be done to do a dive.
Really? Wow.

You do realize that this is a private quarry.
You do realize that there are rules in this quarry.
You do realize that it is a requirement to be certified to dive at this private quarry.
You do realize that the OP is probably not old enough to have started diving BEFORE the agencies. Remember mom was there.
You do realize it is the responsibility of the instructor, who has a business at stake, to ensure the quarry rules are followed so he can continue to utilize the quarry. Imagine the ramifications for him personally, and his livelihood if something had happened.
You do realize that if the OP wants to dive/work on his "vintage" gear he should probably do it where he doesn't put other's businesses, or livelihood at risk.

What bothers me is that there are participants in this thread that are respected members and instructors. They of all people should know that "monday morning quarterbacking" is inappropriate especially since they were not present. We all know that when someone is telling their side of the story it has a bias.

As "vintage" divers you would think a respect for others would be paramount to preserve and encourage the growth of "vintage" diving.

I was all about not diving the Philedelphia quarry again based on the OP's opening post. Now that I've talked to the other party, and know what kind of guy he is, I'd say the OP has some unexplained issues. I've looked at his profile and I saw no agency listed. Anyone can claim an expertise, but it has no validity w/o substantiation. Therefore, why would he, or should he, be allowed to come into a PRIVATE location, endanger himself, which is a legitimate concern based on the OP's post.

Back on topic, there are two sides to this story.

ETA: I've been diving for almost 30 yrs. I'm not a certification lover, but I do think there is a benefit to having at least some proof of training.

As a private quarry who is responsible for enforcing the rules? A random instructor with students? Or an employee?

Back
Top Bottom