Scuba Point Closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Nov-2006 around Thanskgiving time, We had about 25' - I was able to see the truck and both platforms at Scuba Point while sitting on the top of the ledge in 17' of water.

I do have to agree that these kind of conditions are spotty at best. Most of the time PK has poor visibility.

I don't mind bad viz. I dive locally around here all the time. My favorite dive spot in this area is Lake Murray. I think I just saw JoeDiver refer to it as Lake Murky. Don't understand this. But maybe while I have seen great viz at Murray; there's an urban legend about great viz at PK.

I have seen some really bad viz at Murray too! But it's all good. I take exception to the urban legend; not the bad viz.

Somebody keep me posted on this. I will be honest here. Since I became a certified diver in 2003, I have never been impresse with PK. I have heard all of the urban legends about "the great visibility" but I have never seen it.

I grew up on PK. I have not dived the lake yet (just got OW this past Labor Day) but I do know just about every nook and cranny on it. Usually late July thru mid August brings good viz as long as there has been a "normal" Texas summer. Which means not too much rain and not too much drought. ...and the algae blooms stay low. Most of this great viz, though, is found toward the dam. In places between Hell's Gate and the dam. Not sure if there are any good dive locations in that area but I do know there are some great cliffs/walls.

I just checked the website for Scuba Point and they have updated it with a statement that it is closed and has sold. They also mention that they will be having an equipment sale soon.

Jay

Well that sucks. I can echo other sentiments that the visibility isn't great and its colder than hell below a couple of thermoclines. But we don't have a lot of spots to go diving in N Texas and it was always a nice alternative for a diving/camping weekend. I was certified there and maybe it was beginners excitement, but it just seemed clearer on those first few trips out there...

...sure do miss the glory days of Squaw Creek....man, I remember some days of 20' vis off Swim Beach in that forest.....

I did love Squaw Creek, probably because I was certified there, but it was always good fun. I am not always the best judge though, if I am wet, I am happy. Cold, warm, cloudy, clear, dark or light.

Spent a lot of time at PK back in the early 90s. Sad to see SP closed.

Back
Top Bottom