Scuba Mau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beats me? I am pretty hard to please, people are often happy when I leave, but I had no problems - and they did things my way when I asked.

For starters, unlimited shore diving was requested prior to making the booking. We were told no problem. However the reality was that most times when tanks for shore dives were requested we were told they only had enough for the boats, or that we'd have to wait, and they would go get some tanks later. Not acceptable. It was specifically requested, and agreed upon, yet they failed to deliver more often than not.

Dive site selection was about 50/50 in that the DM TOLD us where we were going, rather than allowing us to pick. Sometimes he'd ask, other times he'd just say "today we are going to xxxxxx"

Prior to booking with Opal I requested that we be allowed to dive the northern sites. Via e-mail she agreed to my request, and was even enthusiastic, making mention that at the time we were there (end of Dec) that the eagle rays were in, and we could see many on the Northern sites. However when requesting the northern sites each day, our DM would give one excuse or another for not taking us there. When on our 7th dive day (I think) we asked the DM to go N he completely disregarded that we had spoken. Guess he was tired of me asking. Opal happened to be on the dock at that time, and when we told her we wanted to go N she spoke with the other divers to see if they were in agreement (they were) and then she told our DM to take us N. He was obviously reluctant, for what reason I cannot say. The dive (San Juan) was awesome, and we saw many eagle rays, a huge green moray, and everyone on the boat loved it. Anyhow, for the rest of our stay he gave us the cold shoulder. Guess he was chapped that he was over ridden by Opal.

Not being able to dive my computer was also an issue with me, as was not being able to dive my tank. During the briefing the DM would say "bottom time is 50 minutes" and true to his word when 50 minutes was up, "tink, tink, tink" he would go hitting his tank. Having decent air consumption, it was dissapointing to end the dive with so much air left. So whatever comes first, 50 minutes, or 700 psi, your dive is done. While I agree somewhat to the 700 cutoff, if you are well within your computers limits I see no reason to end a dive at 50 mins.

There were a couple issues with the hotel. Being that the package was booked by SM I have to throw that in as well. One being that I wanted breakfast for the 3 of us. Opal said (via e-mail) no problem, 6 bucks a day. I agreed. The first day we went down for breakfast (at Villa Blanca) the restaurant didn't open. No breakfast that day. The 2nd day we went down, and they opened about 30 minutes late, after we had complained to the manager. The breakfast was horrible, and I went back to the manager to let him know that he need not open on account of us, as we wouldn't be paying 6 bucks each for breakfast for the remainder of our stay. He seemed a bit confused at this. Later we were approached by Opal, who asked if there was a problem with the breakfast, to which I replied yes, and that I would not pay 6 bucks for what they offered. She said she wasn't charging us 6 bucks, that it was more like 2 each, or 6 for the 3 of us each day. I have the email. She then looked at the email on her computer and said Mau must have quoted 6 bucks. Mau? The emails were all signed "Opal". Regardless, 2 or 6 it wasn't worth a dime, and she said she'd take it off. Now that I see on the Villa Blanca website that breakfast is included with your stay I can understand why the manager seemed confused when I said I wasn't paying for it. There were other issues with the VB and all I have to say to those going there is, take a plunger.

For our last day of diving we requested a cenote dive. SM made a call and set it up. SM's charge for this was 40 bucks each. We watched a video of the dive on SM's computer at the shop, and it was touted as being something special in that there were human remains found at 130'. Of course we wanted to see that, as they were supposedly dated at 20,000 years old. The reality was quite different however. On arrival near the dive site we were informed that we'd have to gear up (and haul tanks) and walk 1000' down a rocky trail to the dive entrance. The DM that took us was also diving nitrox, and therefore could not take us to the depth where the remains were found. It was an interesting dive, but I felt shortchanged as we were not informed we'd be making a 1000' trek through the jungle with gear, or that we would not be able to see what we'd been told we would. When I told Opal's dive shop guy (sorry, can't recall his name) that I was not satisfied he told Opal that he wasn't the one who set up the dive. BS, he's the guy who told us the details of the dive, and the one who took the 120 bucks.

There were many other small things that set me off. Most of it minor stuff, but when you look at the whole picture it was enough for me to make a decision that I wouldn't use them again. Things like water buckets for cameras. My wife, son and I all dive with cameras and not once in the 10 days we were there was there a camera bucket on the boat.

The final thing may have not been their fault, but I won't give them another chance to find out if it was or not. We got home on a Friday. On Monday I got a call saying there was some suspicious activity on my card, and there was over 1200 bucks worth of suspicious charges. These were not legitimate charges, and SM was the only place my card was used at during the whole trip. Had to cancel my card. Fill out dispute paperwork, and took over a week to hear whether we were going to lose the 1200 or get it overturned. Just got a letter that the charges were reversed now. Still a big inconvenience. I haven't mentioned it to SM, as I know it wouldn't matter at this point. My point, pay in cash.

Wow, you really had a bad trip. It sucks when things don't work out the way you think they will or should. Thanks for elaborating.

For starters, unlimited shore diving was requested prior to making the booking. We were told no problem. However the reality was that most times when tanks for shore dives were requested we were told they only had enough for the boats, or that we'd have to wait, and they would go get some tanks later. Not acceptable. It was specifically requested, and agreed upon, yet they failed to deliver more often than not.
The tanks are ordered, the company that gives them out could have been overbooked to give out extras to companies, it is rare but happens, it's happened to me only once. A couple of times it happened when I was staying at Blue Angel.
Dive site selection was about 50/50 in that the DM TOLD us where we were going, rather than allowing us to pick. Sometimes he'd ask, other times he'd just say "today we are going to xxxxxx"
Which dive master was this, doesnt seem right to me. These guys could care less where you dive unless you have newer divers on your boat. I wonder if it was a freelance dm because they where busy, dont know but I do know they where busy at that time.

Prior to booking with Opal I requested that we be allowed to dive the northern sites. Via e-mail she agreed to my request, and was even enthusiastic, making mention that at the time we were there (end of Dec) that the eagle rays were in, and we could see many on the Northern sites. However when requesting the northern sites each day, our DM would give one excuse or another for not taking us there. When on our 7th dive day (I think) we asked the DM to go N he completely disregarded that we had spoken. Guess he was tired of me asking. Opal happened to be on the dock at that time, and when we told her we wanted to go N she spoke with the other divers to see if they were in agreement (they were) and then she told our DM to take us N. He was obviously reluctant, for what reason I cannot say. The dive (San Juan) was awesome, and we saw many eagle rays, a huge green moray, and everyone on the boat loved it. Anyhow, for the rest of our stay he gave us the cold shoulder. Guess he was chapped that he was over ridden by Opal.
It looks like you should have reminded her a little earlier, she would have corrected that right away I'm sure. I'm glad you got there to see them at least.

Not being able to dive my computer was also an issue with me, as was not being able to dive my tank. During the briefing the DM would say "bottom time is 50 minutes" and true to his word when 50 minutes was up, "tink, tink, tink" he would go hitting his tank. Having decent air consumption, it was dissapointing to end the dive with so much air left. So whatever comes first, 50 minutes, or 700 psi, your dive is done. While I agree somewhat to the 700 cutoff, if you are well within your computers limits I see no reason to end a dive at 50 mins.
This doesnt sound like one of her guys leading. Unless the dm did not think you where capable of being down by yourself. I have never had an issue with using all my gas. I've had dms tell me to come up after 50mins but I dont. My bad. Sometimes if I was using goofy gas theyd do this.
Did you tell the dm you had a smb and you where going to blow your limit? or did you just get mad?

There were a couple issues with the hotel. Being that the package was booked by SM I have to throw that in as well. One being that I wanted breakfast for the 3 of us. Opal said (via e-mail) no problem, 6 bucks a day. I agreed. The first day we went down for breakfast (at Villa Blanca) the restaurant didn't open. No breakfast that day. The 2nd day we went down, and they opened about 30 minutes late, after we had complained to the manager. The breakfast was horrible, and I went back to the manager to let him know that he need not open on account of us, as we wouldn't be paying 6 bucks each for breakfast for the remainder of our stay. He seemed a bit confused at this. Later we were approached by Opal, who asked if there was a problem with the breakfast, to which I replied yes, and that I would not pay 6 bucks for what they offered. She said she wasn't charging us 6 bucks, that it was more like 2 each, or 6 for the 3 of us each day. I have the email. She then looked at the email on her computer and said Mau must have quoted 6 bucks. Mau? The emails were all signed "Opal". Regardless, 2 or 6 it wasn't worth a dime, and she said she'd take it off. Now that I see on the Villa Blanca website that breakfast is included with your stay I can understand why the manager seemed confused when I said I wasn't paying for it. There were other issues with the VB and all I have to say to those going there is, take a plunger.
Did you pay the same price as the online price?
That sucks about the breakfast but that is out of her control. And yes I'll bet Mau signs off Opal as she is better looking.:D

For our last day of diving we requested a cenote dive. SM made a call and set it up. SM's charge for this was 40 bucks each. We watched a video of the dive on SM's computer at the shop, and it was touted as being something special in that there were human remains found at 130'. Of course we wanted to see that, as they were supposedly dated at 20,000 years old. The reality was quite different however. On arrival near the dive site we were informed that we'd have to gear up (and haul tanks) and walk 1000' down a rocky trail to the dive entrance. The DM that took us was also diving nitrox, and therefore could not take us to the depth where the remains were found. It was an interesting dive, but I felt shortchanged as we were not informed we'd be making a 1000' trek through the jungle with gear, or that we would not be able to see what we'd been told we would.
Dont like adventure, man I have some dives that you would need some napkins for your tears if you came along.

When I told Opal's dive shop guy (sorry, can't recall his name) that I was not satisfied he told Opal that he wasn't the one who set up the dive. BS, he's the guy who told us the details of the dive, and the one who took the 120 bucks.

There were many other small things that set me off. Most of it minor stuff, but when you look at the whole picture it was enough for me to make a decision that I wouldn't use them again. Things like water buckets for cameras. My wife, son and I all dive with cameras and not once in the 10 days we were there was there a camera bucket on the boat.
Did you ask for a bucket?

The final thing may have not been their fault, but I won't give them another chance to find out if it was or not. We got home on a Friday. On Monday I got a call saying there was some suspicious activity on my card, and there was over 1200 bucks worth of suspicious charges. These were not legitimate charges, and SM was the only place my card was used at during the whole trip. Had to cancel my card. Fill out dispute paperwork, and took over a week to hear whether we were going to lose the 1200 or get it overturned. Just got a letter that the charges were reversed now. Still a big inconvenience. I haven't mentioned it to SM, as I know it wouldn't matter at this point. My point, pay in cash.
Are you calling her a thief? Be careful here dude.

[/QUOTE
I would like to know who the dm was, this seems to be the worst of it. I have listened to 15 mins of where should we go rather than we are going here....
The hotel is out of her reach but I've stayed there many times and will again.
I have given her my credit card dozens of times and will do it again, and again. This is not a very comfortable statement about her integrity, I know her very well this will not sit well. She is one person I know you can trust, as well a Victor her deskman. Also Mau. If something happened it was an error and would have been corrected.

Which dive master was this, doesnt seem right to me. These guys could care less where you dive unless you have newer divers on your boat. I wonder if it was a freelance dm because they where busy, dont know but I do know they where busy at that time.

It should not matter whether the DM was freelance or not. The DM represents the outfit he is out with that day. The op owner should be very clear with that DM/captain about what their clientele expects.

This doesnt sound like one of her guys leading. Unless the dm did not think you where capable of being down by yourself. I have never had an issue with using all my gas. I've had dms tell me to come up after 50mins but I dont. My bad. Sometimes if I was using goofy gas theyd do this.
Did you tell the dm you had a smb and you where going to blow your limit? or did you just get mad?

The DM should be the last one out of the water. In fact Marine Park rules are that you cannot dive w/o a licensed DM in the park. If you are staying down longer to dive your air, the DM should be there with you!

For our last day of diving we requested a cenote dive. SM made a call and set it up. SM's charge for this was 40 bucks each.

HOLY CRAP!!! Op I dive with charges me nothing to set these up, PLUS meets me at the ferry to deliver my gear! That seems a bit steep to me!

Things like water buckets for cameras. My wife, son and I all dive with cameras and not once in the 10 days we were there was there a camera bucket on the boat.

If the op is customer focussed, on day 1 the DM should have noticed the cameras and had a bucket for day 2. You shouldn't have to ask.

The final thing may have not been their fault,

With his preface, I think he was giving her the benefit of the doubt, First Dive... :popcorn:

[/QUOTE
I know you can trust, as well a Victor her deskman.

Is this the same Victor that used to work at Blue Angel? If so, he is a good guy and has treated me well in the past.

You ask for the dirt to be dished then get defensive when it is?
The tanks are ordered, the company that gives them out could have been overbooked to give out extras to companies, it is rare but happens, it's happened to me only once. A couple of times it happened when I was staying at Blue Angel.
So which is it? It happened to you only once, or it happened a couple of times? Never happened to me at BA. Regardless, if it had been once at SM that would be one thing, but when you hear excuses over and over. Well...
No, I'm sure this must have been one of their guys as he was with us our whole stay. Regardless, any dive site in Coz is alright with me, but I'd at least like to be allowed to input.
It looks like you should have reminded her a little earlier, she would have corrected that right away I'm sure. I'm glad you got there to see them at least.
No, and as you said I should have taken it up with her earlier. To her credit she corrected the issue when reminded.
As I said earlier, I believe this was one of their guys. Please don't try to shift the focus by making insinuations regarding my dive experience. You don't know me, or have any inkling as to my training or skills.
That sucks about the breakfast but that is out of her control. And yes I'll bet Mau signs off Opal as she is better looking.:D
I have no idea if I paid the same price as online or not and fail to see what difference it would make.

Dont like adventure, man I have some dives that you would need some napkins for your tears if you came along.
There you go again. Whether I like adventure is not the issue here. Neither the trek through the jungle carrying gear, nor the roughly 25' giant stride into the cenote bothered me at all. However the two women (one of whom was my wife) who were with us should have been forewarned. Keep your napkins to clean up your snotty remarks.
Should I have to? Shouldn't it be obvious that there were cameras onboard?Someone earlier posted that water buckets were on board. I only made mention that on our trip this was not the case.
No, not at all. I think you are the one who made that statement. What I believe is that at some point during the charge the security of their system was compromised. When I say it won't happen again I mean it won't happen again because I won't dive with them again. Regardless, cash is best and I won't make the mistake of using a card in Coz again. All my previous trips I've paid cash, with this being the first time to use my card. I got bit, it won't happen again.

[/QUOTE
I would like to know who the dm was, this seems to be the worst of it. I have listened to 15 mins of where should we go rather than we are going here....
The hotel is out of her reach but I've stayed there many times and will again.
I have given her my credit card dozens of times and will do it again, and again. This is not a very comfortable statement about her integrity, I know her very well this will not sit well. She is one person I know you can trust, as well a Victor her deskman. Also Mau. If something happened it was an error and would have been corrected.[/QUOTE]

The DM was Eduardo. I'm glad you have had positive experiences with SM and VB and hope you continue to do so. As for me, I'll stick with BA from now on.

I am seriously thinking of using these folk myself in a few weeks. I am interested in hearing both the good and the bad, as it both helps me make an educated decision, and prepares me better to resolve any issues that might arise.

MagnaDiver, I have a question for you. Did you pay the money to SM for your hotel or to VB? I'm no lawyer, but if you paid to SM, then I think the liability resides with them. But maybe someone here who is a lawyer can comment.

MagnaB I do appreciate you sharing the problems with us. I saw this go up as I was leaving for a while and figured it'd get lively while I was gone. I have a few comments not intended to be critical of you, ScubaMau, Villablanca, or anyone else posting here, even tho the way I talk/type at times can seem caustic - I don't mean to be so, just some comments.

I'm sure FD will convey your problems to Opal & Mau and this is great. They need to know and strive to do much better rather than resting on laurels of happy customers. I know about some improvements that Mau had in mind last summer, but more is better.

It sounds like there was a personnel problem that week. These happen as an Op has to manage his employees but then give them rein, and problems come up. I had problems with a skipper at BA in March 2009, shrugged them off, then had the same skipper in August 2009 when my Spanish literate bud went with me - and told me what the skipper was saying about us. :mad: Like you, I stuck it out, but it does reduce enjoyment. And I know that some of the people I have worked under over the years have had customers complain about me. It happens. I hope Opal & Mau can figure out who the problem was that week and put a stop to that or him if needed.
That sucks. I'm not much on shore diving myself so never have experienced that anywhere, but I guess it happens. Mau told me he was working on getting his own compressor. I'd told him about the CO problems I'd had on the tanks from the big fill station and encouraged him to budget in a Clear monitor. I know he has a tank analyzer of his own now, and the big station is installing a Clear, but don't have full details on progress.

I don't know when you were there, where you're from, or how experienced you are. Profiles help in discussions, but some don't.
Haha, I have an easy answer for that caca: "Do you like tips?" If that didn't work, I would have found Opal & Mau and put a stop to it at that level. For my trip, the were very agreeable to taking us where I ask, contingent on the other divers agreeing - which did take some juggling as expected, but we went across the channel one day, north one day, etc - no extra charge, unlike some other Ops.

Hey, I hope that guy is already history, and I understand your feelings. I wouldn't have put up with it as much as you did, and - maybe you shouldn't have. I have a hunch none of this will happen again, thanks to your report.
The little cafe there is a one man operation at times, and the guy is likable but the breakfasts were free on my deal. The buildings are old, not really built for us gringos and our paper flushing habits, but while I didn't have that problem - I have at BA and other hotels, and my house this week. Yeah, got to have those plungers quickly at times.

SM seems to be very agreeable to helping divers who want to stay other places, going beyond usual to help. We picked up one diver at Hotel Coz every day.
For our last day of diving we requested a cenote dive. SM made a call and set it up. SM's charge for this was 40 bucks each. We watched a video of the dive on SM's computer at the shop, and it was touted as being something special in that there were human remains found at 130'. Of course we wanted to see that, as they were supposedly dated at 20,000 years old. The reality was quite different however. On arrival near the dive site we were informed that we'd have to gear up (and haul tanks) and walk 1000' down a rocky trail to the dive entrance. The DM that took us was also diving nitrox, and therefore could not take us to the depth where the remains were found. It was an interesting dive, but I felt shortchanged as we were not informed we'd be making a 1000' trek through the jungle with gear, or that we would not be able to see what we'd been told we would. When I told Opal's dive shop guy (sorry, can't recall his name) that I was not satisfied he told Opal that he wasn't the one who set up the dive. BS, he's the guy who told us the details of the dive, and the one who took the 120 bucks.
Oh wow! You got to do the Pit?! Great dive. Too bad about the DM. Mine took us to 130 ft and I dipped down to 140 for the shot of the bones. It's a hike for sure, but the Op I used had a 4wd to carry the gear. Sounds like another area for improvement, or they need to avoid such?

I'm confused, exactly how much did you pay for how many cenote dives & transportation from the PDC ferry for how many people? It's an expensive day, I know.
I've never seen a camera bucket on a 6 pack boat that I can remember, but I can only remember BA & SM experiences really. I know am told they will furnish one on request but I always used my own bag and a wet T-shirt. Now I know to ask.
Oh that happens all over Coz and Mexico. If you did not use the card anywhere else, that is suspicious - I agree. Someone got your number somehow. I'm confident it was not Opal or Mau, but can't say who or how. I've had it happen enough that I avoid using my main card. I negotiate cash discounts as much as possible, pay in US bills, and use a special debit card for additional money from Atms if needed.
You shouldn't have to ask for a Camera Bucket or a Plunger, ever.:shakehead:
You don't list your location or experiences either. Have you dived Cozumel? Yes, you have to ask for a bucket on small boats and yes caca happens requiring plungers. Happens at my house too like I said.

Well, thanks for the discussion. I'm looking forward to diving with SM again ASAP, but will be watchful for problems and quick solutions. I hope Magna is happy with his next Op. No one can please them all, but they try - usually the DMs most of all hoping for tips that most of us furnish, but I've had some bad ones here and there over the years. Again, gracias.

MagnaDiver, I have a question for you. Did you pay the money to SM for your hotel or to VB? I'm no lawyer, but if you paid to SM, then I think the liability resides with them. But maybe someone here who is a lawyer can comment.

Payments for both the hotel, and for the diving were paid to SM. I chock this one up to a lesson learned. They were given the opportunity to impress me. They didn't, but the following they have here suggests they do have the capability to do so. The fact that they did not makes it that much more disappointing.

BTW MMM, it's MagnaBoxer, but I'm flattered none the less. :D

Back
Top Bottom