Scuba Mau Boat Sinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I must admit that I have not been on SB much recently. But recently on Yahoo I read a piece about the Russian yacht Ice participating in the rescue of several divers from a boat operated by Scuba Mau that sank while crossing the channel.

This prompted me to come to SB to see what additional information I could glean. I was surprised that apparrently many of the threads had been closed or severly edited due to what I can only surmise was much in-fighting among posters. Personally I find this sad as it only impedes the dissemenation of what information is available out there.

So not finding the level of information I was seeking here, I searched other sources and came up with this rather complete and extensive article in the latest issue of CozumelInsider.com. I present it here for informational purposes only. I have no axe to grind and no opinions to offer. This is only intended to provide a more complete story of what transpired as reported by the most reputable and thorough source I could find at this time. And note that I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of their reporting or facts!

Shipwrecked Boat Operating Illegally
The boat that sank in the channel between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen with nine people aboard was not only inappropriate for such a trip, but was not even named “Living Underwater” but rather “Nora Gabriela.” It was operated with a license plate “overlay” and posing as another boat in order to navigate within the Marine Park. This is only possible through corrupt practices. Not only were the lives of nine people put at risk, but it uncovered the corruption and influence peddling between the Port Authority, The Federal Maritime Guard, businessmen and boat operators. Moreover, in the case of the company involved, Scuba Mau, this is just the latest in a series of problems and incidents involving a terrible diving accident that occurred on September 3 or last year during a staff excursion. Since there was no complaint about the events and no tourist were involved, the matter remained a tragic anecdote known only among local dive operations and on the internet, but the incident has resurfaced following the sinking of the boat. Three divers in the accident suffered severe decompression illness caused by what many in the island qualify as a reckless dive that took unnecessary risks. The worst case was that of the senior partner of the firm, a United States citizen named Opal Torelli Cohn. She emerged from the dive conscious but paralyzed from the neck down. Her condition steadily worsened and she was transferred by emergency airlift to a hospital in the United States where she died days later. None of the divers had insurance. After the tragedy, the company Scuba Mau was divided into two different businesses, Scuba Mau and Opal’s Dream.” Scuba Mau retained the Nora Gabriela that went down as “Living Underwater.” The boat in question was a modified glass bottom boat that was inadequate to travel across deep water, and moreover was overloaded with nine people, 18 tanks and all equipment, food and drinks, and powered by a Yamaha 250 single-engine outboard. The Port Authority was not notified of the boat’s departure from Cozumel.

“Living Underwater” began as Aldora II, and sank last summer. It is now on the banks of the Caleta marina. The boat is owned by Maximilian Zuniga, who operates a boat repair business called “Max Marine Services.” Mr. Zuniga rented the registration certificates, marine tourism licenses and permits to Maurizio Torelli, who operates Scuba Mau and owns “Nora Gabriela,” a boat that never met the requirements for any of the permits and was not allowed to operate in the Marine Park. It is illegal to transfer these permits without legal process. The authorities are supposed to check the boats daily to make sure they carry radios, life vests, and that all documents are in order. The boat is also required by law to give notice of departure for the mainland coast to the Port Authority in the event of any incident, which incident transpired and has been a devastating blow to Cozumel as a safe diving destination with high standards for diving.

Although all Cozumel rejoices that no lives were lost, there is strong criticism for the diving operation that is not part of any trade associations and operates only through the internet, and incidentally is still offering its services as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Yes, there is a lot of water under this bridge. This translation or several similar to it, were posted shortly after the incident. I believe that a few people were given "time outs" as a result of many of the comments. So I am coming in here early and will say this only once: I will be watching this thread carefully. If there is news (and I am pretty sure there is NOT) , fine post away. But I will be moderating this thread with a VERY heavy hand. Consider yourselves informed of this fact now. Thank you ladies and gentlemen for behaving as such!

Last edited:
Here we go again. No offense intended.

Although the op that operated the boat from which Opal, Gabi, and Heath were diving was named Scuba Mau at the time, it was not the same op which owned the boat which sank. Mau split from the op which bore his name at the time when those divers were injured. He moved on before the incident, not after, as the article claims. He has since started a new op and the name was transferred to him for that operation, and that is the op which owned the boat which sank. The op which used to be Scuba Mau is now Opal's Dream.

I am not defending anyone, but the information should be accurate. All this has been gone over in here ad nauseum. The discussion became heated and personal at times, resulting in the mods coming in and cleaning up the mess.

Yea that is pretty much what had been posted repeatedly…

I guess if it was in some of the other posts on SB, then I totally missed it. If that is the case and my information is redundant, then I apologize.

And this article came from the English issue of CozumelInsider.com, not from a "translator". So I assume it is fairly acurate and with out the translation errors that often accompany the "free translation" sites.

And, once again, I posted this only as informational material for folks (like myself) that did not or could not dig it out of the other posts. I am not really looking for discussion or debate on the material.

Here we go again. No offense intended.

Although the op that operated the boat from which Opal, Gabi, and Heath were diving was named Scuba Mau at the time, it was not the same op which owned the boat which sank. Mau split from the op which bore his name at the time when those divers were injured. He moved on before the incident, not after, as the article claims. He has since started a new op and the name was transferred to him for that operation, and that is the op which owned the boat which sank. The op which used to be Scuba Mau is now Opal's Dream.

I am not defending anyone, but the information should be accurate. All this has been gone over in here ad nauseum. The discussion became heated and personal at times, resulting in the mods coming in and cleaning up the mess.

Please see post #5!

Please see post #5!
See it for what?

This statement: "After the tragedy, the company Scuba Mau was divided into two different businesses, Scuba Mau and Opal’s Dream." is inaccurate. Mau left Scuba Mau before the incident and later started a new op by that name.

If you can find the thread "Dangerous Crossing," later posts may have much of the best available info.

I guess if it was in some of the other posts on SB, then I totally missed it. If that is the case and my information is redundant, then I apologize.

And this article came from the English issue of CozumelInsider.com, not from a "translator". So I assume it is fairly acurate and with out the translation errors that often accompany the "free translation" sites.

And, once again, I posted this only as informational material for folks (like myself) that did not or could not dig it out of the other posts. I am not really looking for discussion or debate on the material.

This info, and possibly more, has been posted. HOWEVER, after the heavy editing, censuring, deleting, etc., I'm not sure what (or how much) info has been left in a concise form.

If you're new to find out about the incident, it's all quite a kick in the pants, isn't it?

If you're new to find out about the incident, it's all quite a kick in the pants, isn't it?

Yes it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom