Scuba Mau Boat Sinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're new to find out about the incident, it's all quite a kick in the pants, isn't it?

But the ending was a good one. Not like the prior Scuba Mau deep dive fiasco.

If I could figure out how to post the photo I would but for now just close your eyes and the image will come to you.

But the ending was a good one.

Apparently Mau is still in operation, so not sure how good that is. I'd rather there was some consequences beyond whatever bad 'press' he gets from the internet, consequences that send a message painful enough to prevent others from following in his foot steps and protect future diver tourists and the good reputation of the dive industry in Cozumel from people who want to play fast and loose with the rules and people's lives.

While some of us walk around with eyes a bit wider open, more cautious and less trusting of the typical Mexican big smile and 'si' it's all good, come let's go.... as that big thread about the incident that is closed proved, there are many, many people who just assume the situations they are walking into and their safety, children's safety, friends safety, is being safe guarded by better ethics, morals, as well as regulations and enforcement. Without some real consequences it's just business as usual. I'm glad the victims all survived and walk away relatively unscathed, but I'd rather see a different ending for the others involved then this all just fading away.

Yes, this incident deserves judicial attention, BUT with all the other things going on in Mexico this is really small potatoes.

I just saw this on the Cozumel Insider - Cozumel News - Local Island News in English Updated Weekly - Cozumel Insider website news page.

"Port Authorities Now Reviewing Documents
After the scandal over the sinking of the boat alleged to be “Living Underwater” the Port Authority staff made a surprise inspection finding that more than 60 percent of the boats have irregularities in compliance. Afterwards a belated review of documents and permits for 495 boats moored in the Caleta and Puerto de Abrigo began simultaneously. Any boats not meeting the requirements will have 15 days to make revisions. The National Association of Operators of Water Activities and Tourism (ANOAAT) expressed the opinion that if a tourist had been aboard and died the impact for Cozumel would have been devastating. In their view negligence, improper equipment and boat personnel not native to the island and not familiar with navigation in these waters, poor judgment and desperation because of the poor economy all contributed to the accident."

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom