scuba magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm of the opinion that it's really hard, actually darn near impossible, to find a good dive magazine. I just don't think there are any out there today. There may be good dive magazine issues, but there are no dive magazines that are consistently outstanding.

Scuba Diving and Sport Diver are just outlets for paid advertisers. Nothing much objective in them. Advanced Diver is great ... if you're a rebreather diver. Wreck Diver can be interesting, but it's obviously focused on just one type of diving. Plus, I find the majority of the articles focus too much on extremely advanced wreck diving. Alert Diver can be decent, it can also feel like it's the same information just rehashed in a slightly different way. Dive Training is just too basic for my taste. It's great if you're a new diver, but it quickly grows stale.

My favorite was Diving Adventure magazine which was published by SDI/TDI. Unfortunately, now that SDI/TDI has partnered with Underwater Journal, it's been shutdown.

I think the ones I like the best are the free, online magazines X-Ray Mag and Underwater Journal. But even with those, I just download, browse and delete.

i think Dive Training mag is the best one. I also get Scuba Diving mag but it seems to repeat articles alot. The best section in Scuba Diving mag is the Lessons for Life section. I also subscribe to Undercurrent. It is run by subscription money only and does not have any advertisers. It is expensive compared to the others. It also gives you access to the website members only section and you can read past articles

I agree dive Training is great you can never get enough traing and learning . This mag has lots of good reading matierial

I read everything, I like diving. There's something worthwhile in all of the periodicals. What else are you supposed to do when you're not diving or planning a dive trip? I'm also a fan of Undercurrent and the online reviews.

Good reading and good diving, Craig

I like to read Scuba Diving, Advanced Diver, Wreck Diving and online Undercurrent. I would try different magazines and see which one you like best......

Check out Alert Diver from DAN, they recently overhauled the look and added content. This is a dive magazine that is well written and intellegent. With the overhaul, I think it will soon displace the standard scuba diving. If you plan on doing a lot of traveling (i.e. "upscale") Undercurrent is a good investment, if not, save your money. Scuba Diving has gone through too many owners and iterations, with one issue indistinguishable from the next.

It's worth noting - now that we live on such a small planet - that magazines are produced in a region so have that region at heart. So if you want info on diving in Asia, try and get Asian Diver, in Australia the Aussie Sport Diving and so on. None of them are objective, and all of them have to make money so they will promote a place or product depending on what they get in terms of advertising or sponsorship.

I subscribe to the British magazine Diver. Far more interesting articles than any of the American ad-driven mags (although I read them all, and also enjoy Undercurrent). More expensive, but worth it.

It's worth noting - now that we live on such a small planet - that magazines are produced in a region so have that region at heart. So if you want info on diving in Asia, try and get Asian Diver, in Australia the Aussie Sport Diving and so on. None of them are objective, and all of them have to make money so they will promote a place or product depending on what they get in terms of advertising or sponsorship.

Actually..the Aussie Sport Diver (apparently PADI's regional version :idk:) has AWESOME photos! (but is kind of low on content)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom