scuba magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a long time subscriber to Scuba Diving magazine. I will say that I'm pretty disappointed to see my December 2009 issue has a the Mares icon HD on the cover, but no real review of this product, only a short bit of info, and that it was "too late to test". I lose respect for magazines when they become so obviously driven by advertising money, they forget about their duty to provide useful information to their readers.

Last edited:
We get Sport Diver from PADI, and Alert Diver from DAN, and we often pick up a complimentary copy of Dive Training from our LDS when we visit. Since we're still relatively new divers and soaking up information like crazy, I find all three enjoyable. I also check our local used book store for older issues of various scuba magazines for any articles that catch my eye.

Ditto what Hoomi said but I also need to renew my subscription to Scuba Diving. I also get Quest from GUE.

There are usually a lot of threads on this subject, but the usual mags are Sport Diver and Scuba Diving which are pretty much short on interesting stuff, and BIG on travel destinations (and pretty pictures) They seem to re-hash the same stuff over and over!

Dive Training is good since it DOES have some interesting articles on technique, and they cover the Continental US for dive sites (not just the pretty ones either...they review quarries!) The best part is that most dive shops have it for free!

Advanced Diver is pretty heavy stuff unless you're into rebreathers and serious tech diving.

Wreck Diving is one of my favorites since all it covers are wrecks at every depth! (which reminds me...I need to update my subscription!)

Diver is published in Canada and covers some pretty obscure topics and sites! (as well as the Great Lakes)

Alert Diver is published by DAN and has some great content all around, with a good emphasis on safety.

Enjoy!

I recommend Advanced Diver Magazine and WetPixel, both are just visually stunning.

Wreck Diving had too much boring text for my liking...
Scuba Diving is just a shill for advertisers.....
I've been feeling the same about Alert Diver trying to squeeze more money to DAN...

It's hard to find a bad dive magazine. My suggestion is to pick up two or three different magazines each month. You will quickly notice the slightly different orientation of each magazine. You can then make an educated choice rather than take someone else's recommendation based on their personal preference that may or may not be the same as yours. Once you subscribe you will see a substantial savings so you can subscribe to two or three for the same as purchasing just one over the counter. I personally get Dan Alert Diver, Scuba, Sport Diver and Dive Training. Occasionally I will see something else on the rack that catches my eye.
Larry

i think Dive Training mag is the best one. I also get Scuba Diving mag but it seems to repeat articles alot. The best section in Scuba Diving mag is the Lessons for Life section. I also subscribe to Undercurrent. It is run by subscription money only and does not have any advertisers. It is expensive compared to the others. It also gives you access to the website members only section and you can read past articles

One that I get is Undercurrent. It's a PDF pamphlet with no advertising, strong on travel stories and reviews, some stuff on gear and other issues. I also like his concern for animal welfare.
Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom