Scuba junkies komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
has anyone stayed at scuba junkies komodo? Do I need to do a Liveaboard or will I get a good taste of Komodo staying at this resort

The boat goes out for 3 dives a day and covers all the popular sites(North). AFAIK those sites down south is seasonal.
LoB offers 1 or 2 dive more.
I have done both and have no complaint with SJ.

A lot more flexible than LoB if there is problem with the flight or whatnot.

Homestay at R4.

I am headed there in June. A number of my friends/colleagues have been there multiple times and LOVE it.

The place is a few degrees cooler than Labuan Bajo and with fewer mosquitoes. So worth it for that ... plus the evenings chilling out with your fav drinks in a cooler climate. And you save an hour or more in boat rides daily and the commute back to your hotel in LBJ. So more relaxed overall.

I've been twice to Scuba Junkies, its a well run operation. I've also done 2 LOB trips on the Mermaid 2 and a shorter trip out of LBJ.
SJ will dive sites in the North and Central (as far south as Padar area), on one trip I cajoled them to take us to Horseshoe Bay, but that took some doing and I've not heard of them going back. You will get a taste of Komodo of some of the excellent diving Komodo has to offer but not all of it. My favorite sites are in the South, though there are some really good ones in the central part of the park. My last trip I did a 4 day LOB out of LBJ on a southern itinerary then went to SJ for another 10 days. Buyer beware getting far South as Horseshoe Bay is weather dependent, and some operators on a south trip might try and say the weather is not conducive to going south, and its hard to tell if they just want to save fuel or are telling the truth. My CD on the short southern trip was all like yes we will go if the weather is good (smaller boat) and the day before was all ehh doesn't look good the wind is blowing, but by the end of the day it was calm wind and seas and the forcast looked good, so with my prodding we did go south to Horseshoe Bay.

Took a look at their website. It certainly does offer flexibility compared to a lob in the face of potential travel glitches.
Do nondivers ever go along? Are the dive sites at all snorkelable?
Looking for future alternatives to our kaput BM trip.

Took a look at their website. It certainly does offer flexibility compared to a lob in the face of potential travel glitches.
Do nondivers ever go along? Are the dive sites at all snorkelable?
Looking for future alternatives to our kaput BM trip.
I would estimate about 80% of the sites SJ dives are snorkelable. For non-divers besides snorkelling there isn't much to do, besides some hiking, and going out on the boat, the resort is a 1.5 hrs out of LBJ, so its isolated. They have nice lounging areas and a beach that the tides affect, but there is now a long jetty with lounging area on it also.

The House reef is ok for check out dive and snorkelling

Good to know in case the divers are going somewhere not good for snorkeling. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom