Scuba isn't the only industry being affected by the helium shortage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Balloons are horrible for the environment anyway. Releasing them for any reason is littering.

Not to mention, with a resource that has technical importance, should it continue to be sold for friggin balloons?

The Indianapolis 500 has stopped releasing thousands of balloons, and it looks like it may be a permanent decision. An article I read on it said it had been one of the very few large balloon releases still going on. I guess Nebraska's release was one of those last intentional environmental disasters.

Hydrogen? Sure, why not... What could possibly go wrong?

Oh the humanity...

They used hydrogen in diving, I believe it was because helium shortages, but don't quote me on that..
Maybe someone wants to give it another go...🙃

They used hydrogen in diving, I believe it was because helium shortages, but don't quote me on that..
Maybe someone wants to give it another go...🙃
They do not use it because of helium shortages. It is used in very deep commercial diving to allieviate the concerns of HPNS from the high pphe but it can't have more than 4% oxygen or something otherwise it can ignite. Correct me if I'm wrong

They do not use it because of helium shortages. It is used in very deep commercial diving to allieviate the concerns of HPNS from the high pphe but it can't have more than 4% oxygen or something otherwise it can ignite. Correct me if I'm wrong
Hydrogen can ignite (i.e., burn) with oxygen in it; it is explosive only for O2 percentages greater than 4-6% or so. See Playing with Fire: Hydrogen as a Diving Gas. and Diving with Hydrogen – It’s a Gas | John Clarke Online. The latter says:
Hydrogen will not burn under two conditions; if there is too little hydrogen, or too much hydrogen and not enough oxygen. A gas mixture (air or oxygen) with less than 4% hydrogen will not burn, and with more than 94% hydrogen in oxygen (or 75% hydrogen in air), the gas mixture will also not burn. So 100% hydrogen will not burn, unless it leaks out of its container and gets diluted in air. And then if there is an ignition source, woosh, a la Hindenburg.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom