SCUBA Instructor as a career for a poor fellow questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Thank you for reading my question :)

Im 27, graduated from UWF 3 years ago and am still looking for what to do with myself. Right now I have a chance to become certified for everything I want in Diving and to make it my career. I have 0 hours of diving and it'll take some time. Which Im cool with. But if I do spend at least 14 weeks away from home with maybe financial aid from the government, will it be worth it to make it a career as an Instructor/Police Diver/Anything to do with Diving. I am in Miami and I dont know where to go to learn: it has to be a Public Institute not a private shop for my Voc Rehab Program to help. Is Halls Career Institute a good place? -I hear the owner is not a nice person who will be nice to you until you give him all that money to then make you wish to leave.

Do I go to Florida Keys Community College? Do I stay in Miami, FIU has a diving class but I'd have to take a 2 year major to do Diving on the side. I'm just lost and hope some one can help lighten my load of questions. Is this a good choice for a career and if so what do I have to look forward to, good or bad, while getting that career job. :confused: And Im kind of deep in education debt that Id like to get out of, is Diving as a career going to help me get out of debt?

Im 27, graduated from UWF 3 years ago and am still looking for what to do with myself. Right now I have a chance to become certified for everything I want in Diving and to make it my career. I have 0 hours of diving and it'll take some time. Which Im cool with. But if I do spend at least 14 weeks away from home with maybe financial aid from the government, will it be worth it to make it a career as an Instructor/Police Diver/Anything to do with Diving. I am in Miami and I dont know where to go to learn: it has to be a Public Institute not a private shop for my Voc Rehab Program to help. Is Halls Career Institute a good place? -I hear the owner is not a nice person who will be nice to you until you give him all that money to then make you wish to leave.

Do I go to Florida Keys Community College? Do I stay in Miami, FIU has a diving class but I'd have to take a 2 year major to do Diving on the side. I'm just lost and hope some one can help lighten my load of questions. Is this a good choice for a career and if so what do I have to look forward to, good or bad, while getting that career job. :confused: And Im kind of deep in education debt that Id like to get out of, is Diving as a career going to help me get out of debt?

What did you major in, if it wasn't english literature with a minor in poetry you probably have a better chance of making a career in your field and dive as a hobby. The money in dive instruction is poor.

Others can speak to the money to be made, but I've got a more basic question. I'm a bit confused as to why you are considering undertaking a bunch of training and debt to pursue a possible career in diving when you have zero hours of diving to date. I'd recommend going and trying it out first before jumping in headfirst as you are describing. Why not make sure you like it before considering making a career out of it?

So you are deep in debt, out of college, no career job looking to get into arguably one of most expensive sports out there?

To be a scuba instructor you have a VERY VERY VERY long way ahead of you. You can not just become an instructor out of the blue. You need to have a lot of experience diving, you need to have spent multiple thousands of dollars into the sport through training and equipment. Additionally diving is a hobby sport so police diving is something that requires additional training. In the end you are looking at a very expensive proposition.

What you should do first is #1 get a career job. #2 get your finances in order #3 learn to dive #4 continue dive training #5 eventually after several years worth of experience pursue adding scuba instructor career as a supplement to your main one.

I don't want to sound harsh, but this is not a good idea.

Diving is what you spend money on.
You are unlikely to make any money out of it.
Especially at your level.
Granted, you could throw a lot of money at it and get your instructor ticket, but that is going to be very expensive.

Realistically, all diving is going to do is get you into more debt.

There is a shop in Orlando, The Dive Station, that offers instructor training. The shop is an approved training facility by the state of Florida and approved for VA benefits. They offer a couple programs to get you through the training from Open Water to Divemaster, then from Divemaster to Master Scuba Diving Instructor. Yes, it is a zero to hero program, but you will receive some very good training so after you get the experience, you'll be a good instructor. Lodging is provided, and it puts Hall's lodging to shame. I would say give the shop in Orlando a call to find out more about the training. As for making it a career, you won't get rich. If you're willing to travel and work at resorts overseas or on cruise ships, it may work. But that's for you to figure out.

SCUBA Instructor as a career for a poor fellow?

Scuba instructor is the PERFECT career to ensure that you stay a poor fellow!

:d

Im 27,

is Diving as a career going to help me get out of debt?

It probablly will not help you get out of debt, In fact it may help you get into more debt as you must buy lots and lots of things to make it from Open Water Diver to Instructor. Diving does not usually make anyone rich.....

Cheers,
Roger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom