Scuba-friendly automobile suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inter_alia

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This thread will likely quickly turn into a Ford-Chevy argument but I'll risk it.
I am in the market for a new car and since I've been in a Honda Civic (the antithesis of a scuba-friendly automobile, IMHO) for three years, I'm looking at better options. Never one to care much about what I drive (obviously), I should say appearance isn't my primary concern. Neither is an enormous engine or AWD. I want to haul tanks, gear, a friend or two and be as comfortable as possible when doing this.
As a starting point, I'm considering (oh no) the Honda Element. It's so ugly I can't resist but want to know if scubaboard has any suggestions.

Thanks!

I looked at the SportTrac, ended up going with an F150 Supercrew.

I've carried 4 people in addition to myself, all our gear, and 4 tanks for each comfortably on a 400 mile trip to go dive.

Go with the Supercrew, prices are comparable to the SportTrac and you get a whole lot more room, especially in the bed.

AD

I drive a Nissan Xterra. Love it!! Lots of room for passangers, gear and bags. Easy drive too.

Good luck!!

inter_alia:
This thread will likely quickly turn into a Ford-Chevy argument but I'll risk it.
I am in the market for a new car and since I've been in a Honda Civic (the antithesis of a scuba-friendly automobile, IMHO) for three years, I'm looking at better options. Never one to care much about what I drive (obviously), I should say appearance isn't my primary concern. Neither is an enormous engine or AWD. I want to haul tanks, gear, a friend or two and be as comfortable as possible when doing this.
As a starting point, I'm considering (oh no) the Honda Element. It's so ugly I can't resist but want to know if scubaboard has any suggestions.

Thanks!

The trick is anything that fits the gear and allows you get stuff in or our with relative ease. For many, a station wagon, truck or suburban assault vehicle fit the bill. Last time I went car shopping, I took a tank and it's holding mounts with me.

For me, a Saab hatchback works just as well, with plently of room for two tanks, first aid kit, and gear. The lip is trunk is low enought that I can don everthing sitting on the bumper.

Get a minivan or "enclosed" truck (aka Explorer).

MD

I had a Dodge Minivan that served me well. Recently replaced with a Chev Safari van. Almost a 3rd more room. Can easily haul enough gear for 4 (currently 3 divers in the family and one waiting to be old enough).
Recent issue of Diver (the Canadian dive mag) had a nice review of the Element. They expressed surprise at being asked by Honda to review it with an eye to it's suitability for divers.

Thanks everyone, keep suggestions coming!
Groundhog246, I found the website for the magazine but nothing on the Element review. You said it was "nice" so I'll take it well.
Mechdiver, definitely thinking about "enclosed" of some sort, not a pickup.

Thanks again, y'all!

inter_alia:
Thanks everyone, keep suggestions coming!
Groundhog246, I found the website for the magazine but nothing on the Element review. You said it was "nice" so I'll take it well.
Mechdiver, definitely thinking about "enclosed" of some sort, not a pickup.

Thanks again, y'all!

Something like 32 years give or take a few.

The _Best_ thing I've found is a full size Dodge B3500 Maxiwagon 1 ton window van. 360 V-8 engine and overdrive trans. This is a full size van stretched about 4', with seriously heavy duty axles (I've had up to 7000 pounds of payoad in one for a short trip on flat ground) and windows to minimze the blind spots. They come with easily removable seats for up to 15 so it's possible to match seating and cargo capacity to almost any group.

This thing comfortably hauls up to 6 divers, luggage, tanks & gear for a weekend for all, 6 rig guns (~7' long) and several boat fish boxes with nothing outside the truck. This greatly simplifies pit and food stops enroute on a driving diving vacation.

I looked at the Element. The salesman swore up and down the diving gear would fit until I stopped by with the truck on the way home after dive trip with just 2 people. He looked at 12 tanks, 2 gear bags and our luggage and thought he could make it until the Ice chests and spearguns came out, then the just shook his head and gave up trying to sell my wife one. :wink:

I've gone on dive trips in everythig from a station wagon to mini pickups to crew cab full size trucks and even a few full size cars and a motor home. The full size van beats them all.

A fair second is a comfortable full size car, with a dedicated trailer for the gear.

FT

I have a Nissan Pathfinder, and I think it's fabulous. I'm sure anything in that size range would be fine. Of course it depends how much gear and how many people you plan on travelling with.

JMHO

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom