scuba for the blind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no problem will do. you have all been very helpful.
keep safe and i'll be back on to tell you when i start and how it's all going.
and also to let you know how the talking dive computer is working.
cheers rob.

Early SCUBA pressure gages were of the tire gage stick type.

You can make a crude pressure gage by buying an animal hypodermic syringe from an feed store. Remove the needle and epoxy it shut with the plunger pulled out all the way to the top marking. Have a sighted friend take the syringe diving and notch the plunger every 10 feet. (HSA).

I am asking this only out of curiosity, as I am able to read a standard SPG. But how does marking the plunger every 10 feet translate into telling how much gas you have? I like to understand how things work, so that is why I am asking.

Thanks,
Blue Sparkle

PS: Bright eyes: I'm excited for you getting into the water for your OW. I bet you will love it (I know I do).

I am asking this only out of curiosity, as I am able to read a standard SPG. But how does marking the plunger every 10 feet translate into telling how much gas you have? I like to understand how things work, so that is why I am asking.

Thanks,
Blue Sparkle

PS: Bright eyes: I'm excited for you getting into the water for your OW. I bet you will love it (I know I do).
Quite right, my bad. I was talking depth not air. For air, absent the stick type of guage there is not much out there that is affordable.

Quite right, my bad. I was talking depth not air. For air, absent the stick type of guage there is not much out there that is affordable.

Hmm. You know, the solution is quite simple. Clicking gauges. Some cheap electronic pressure gauge that clicks out pressure readings every so often. A console computer could easily make different types of clicks to relay depth, pressure and other information.

Hmm. You know, the solution is quite simple. Clicking gauges. Some cheap electronic pressure gauge that clicks out pressure readings every so often. A console computer could easily make different types of clicks to relay depth, pressure and other information.

cheap beeing the point, there is a gauge wich would bleep but it had only 2 preset points and once you misted it that was it and it was extoughtionary and it was for millitary use only, so even if they were still manufactured we couldn't get one.
but as far as i know it was for air pressure only.

I am visually impaired and was wondering if anyone had any experience with scuba diving.....
There are some visually impaired or blind divers here who I hope will answer.

As an Handicapped SCUBA Association (H.S.A. the original adaptive dive organization) instructor, part of our training is to do an ocean dive blindfolded. Not the same as actually being blind I know, but at least we have some idea of what it feels like to dive blind (although I have been on some dives we were all diving blind due to poor visibility). H.S.A. teaches braille hand signals for diving. SCUBA is by comparison to other industries a small market and the visually impaired a smaller subset of that making braille instruments too low a volume product to be a reasonably priced item. So most visually impaired divers would of economic necessity rely on their dive buddies to communicate their gage readings.

Visit HSASCUBA.com and locate the HSA instructor near you for more information.

hi sam
as yet I only have my try dive to go on.
but with the try dive we didn't look at hand signals, but from what i've heard there are hand signals for air and depth.
where are you based?
if you have a look on this website
Welkom bij IAHD
and that will point you in the right direction.
hope this has been helpful
cheers rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom