Scuba Fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, this is not your forte. @emoreira has come up with an ingenious alternative to what the OP has proposed. Em has manufactured a compression fitting that requires no adhesive. That is the beauty of it. Of course if the surrounding material is deteriorated and not serviceable no repair will work. However, most folks who hang out in the DIY forum are fully capable of making that decision. As you continue to suggest "replace the entire regulator-BCD-wing, etc" the DIY section of SB is probably not a good fit for you. Perhaps something in sales.

Regards,

Couv

COUV...

Ha...Ha...maybe...sales would be good...

The problem comes when those who are not DIY inclinated...take some of the methods to heart...and fail...

In your above post you have said exactly what I said...all based on the condition of the surrounding material/the size of the hole you're going to be left with...and the ability to determine that condition...with some practical application thrown in for good measure...

Could I interest you in a new BCD...how about a new SP Hydros...its failure rate is within ''acceptable'' limit standards...and it's only $1000...

I'll make best efforts to curb my enthusiasm...as long as you don't start discussing using dromedary water bags for BCD's...

Best...

Warren

You can't un-ring a bell.

Bob

Bob...

That's so funny...nice of you to remember...

Flash...newest DIY invention ever...

Maybe we could re-work a plastic garbage bag...

Best...

Warren

Would you share the models you designed/used?
Which Material are you using for printing?
I do not plan to do this right now but are curious about the design.
If you look in the DIY forum this is a thread for links to 3d printer files.... including a variation of the DGX style bladder flange I did

In this thread, the Chairman (aka Netdoc) had a flange detach from his Express Tech. Photo in post 14. I recommended a replacement flange. In the US we can purchase them, so no 3D printing required (not sure if OP has one). I know DGX also carries them and Ness. If the OP has a similar problem why not try it for $9? He said DGX is a few minutes away.

The flanges are also handy for making a wing out of a water bladder.

If the fabric is damaged can't it be patched like an Inflatable boat and a new hole cut? I am not talking Sevylor but a Zodiac. I would have to think a BC sees less pressure and abuse than an inflatable boat. I would go to West Marine and ask them how inflatables are patched.

The problem comes when those who are not DYI inclinated...
I think I spotted part of your problem with DIY.
Did you hear about the dyslexic atheist?
He wrote, "There is no dog." ;-)

You are making me blush.
Perhaps, but your work is praiseworthy. I recently repaired a Halcyon wing with the same idea except I used multiple parts. I.e. large washer and seals from a hardware store combined with the standard bladder flange hardware. The repair has held up fine, but I would much prefer the large single piece T flange you manufactured.
Bladder flange modification parts.jpg

Bladder flange modification parts 2.jpg

Bladder flange modification parts 3.jpg

Bladder flange modification parts installed on wing.jpg

In this thread, the Chairman (aka Netdoc) had a flange detach from his Express Tech. Photo in post 14. I recommended a replacement flange. In the US we can purchase them, so no 3D printing required (not sure if OP has one). I know DGX also carries them and Ness. If the OP has a similar problem why not try it for $9? He said DGX is a few minutes away.

The flanges are also handy for making a wing out of a water bladder.

If the fabric is damaged can't it be patched like an Inflatable boat and a new hole cut? I am not talking Sevylor but a Zodiac. I would have to think a BC sees less pressure and abuse than an inflatable boat. I would go to West Marine and ask them how inflatables are patched.
Depends on whether the inflatable is made from hypalon or PVC. PVC patches last a couple of years, I’ve seen hypalon patches properly applied go for 10.

Wing bladders get patched with aquaseal. I doubt you’d glue a whole new assembly in, I expect you’d remove the old assembly, glue in a strongback around the hole, and insert a flange.

That’s how I’d do it anyway.

If you look in the DIY forum this is a thread for links to 3d printer files.... including a variation of the DGX style bladder flange I did
Hi James, I'm not using the part that you designed after my request. I did my own design and changed many things. Besides I did a flange for Mares BCD line and another one for SeaQuest line, as those are quite different.

I think I spotted part of your problem with DIY.
Did you hear about the dyslexic atheist?
He wrote, "There is no dog." ;-)

Perhaps, but your work is praiseworthy. I recently repaired a Halcyon wing with the same idea except I used multiple parts. I.e. large washer and seals from a hardware store combined with the standard bladder flange hardware. The repair has held up fine, but I would much prefer the large single piece T flange you manufactured.
View attachment 522234
View attachment 522235
View attachment 522236
View attachment 522238
This is quite similar of what I ended up doing with the original DGX flanges that I used. There are too many pieces and many places where air could escape. I realized that this was not a good solution and I had to find a better way to do this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom