Scuba Exceptional at 37,000 feet - what I get up to on long flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wingy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Coming home from my short European jaunt I needed a book to pass my 30 hours in transit so I downloaded Simon Pridmores Scuba Exceptional and thought it needed a review on Scubaboard as it is both entertaining and looks at our hobby from many different and thought provoking angles all divers will get value out of.

That may have been the worlds longest sentence and in full disclosure - yes, I am Cindy mentioned and I do know Simon personally, consider him a mentor, and know a few other divers who have contributed their experiences.

So you get to shake your head at my "oopsies" but many of the stories are highly entertaining.

Dr Hook will have you roaring with laughter, I still laugh out loud years after first hearing the perils of reef hooks in close proximity to man bits.

Many are serious with lessons we can all learn from as Simon has in his long career.

This book covers the environment, rebreathers in a lot more depth than his previous books and where he sees the industry heading, safety - yours and the people working in the industry, delves into In water Recompression and compares the current school of thought to 5 years ago, has a very much expanded DCS/PFO discussion, tech diving and advances in technology for divers.

There's a lot more and it's nicely written for both the layperson rec diver like me up to people running dive ops. It's basically so hot off the press it has a section on the Thai Cave rescue which yielded many interesting facts I haven't seen in mainstream media. It's written by a diver for divers, I wasn't after tech gas mixtures manual but a good scuba book I could understand (I'm not a techie) for my flight home and....I'm impressed. I got my copy from Amazon

..........and think before you order the tuna :wink:

Agree with @Wingy. I have this book and its very good.

Its kind of funny because I read a few chapters too but I think I was @ 35000 feet on a recent shorter flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom