Scuba Etiquette: Tipping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For you newbies that don't know old RJP here, he's always one to bemoan the existence of the "poor" Divemaster...

Quite the contrary. I'm always bemoaning the poor souls who don't understand relatively simple principles of finance and economics. (Or that the reason gas is cheaper in NJ is the fact that we have much lower state taxes on gas than elsewhere.)

:D

Don't blame the DMs for this, the trend is that being certified to dive alone does not mean you have the urge or ability, all it takes to change this is to make the DM aware of you and your buddies experience.

As for not passing your fins or loose equipment into the boat, that's just plain dumb.

I don't have loose equipment.

My fins stay on my arm until I'm standing on the deck. They're really useful to have when a wave slams the boat up and down tosses the diver back into the water.

Terry

Sorry but that just ain't the case.........I do enjoy my one "free" dive and do enjoy crewing on the boat and helping other divers, but never been a day yet where I could just "relax and enjoy the diving" that I wasn't a paying passenger on the boat. (And I'm a pretty good tipper on those days!):D

One of these days it's just gotta happen for you. Here's hoping anyway!:D

Great idea for a new thread.

Been wondering about this myself for years, too. Surprised it hadn't been discussed here before.

I always thought when you talked about DM Tipping, it was at night when they were asleep, like we did back in Nebraska with the cows.

I'll just hang up and listen for the answer. :popcorn:

You really tipped cows? Really? Really really? I mean "really"? I don't think so....

Cow tipping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :eyebrow:

... so that when you get there at 7am we can help you load your two sets of steel doubles,

Do divers really dive TWO sets of steel doubles? That's a lot of bottom time for two dives. No wonder they need all those deco bottles...

I see this thread is going south with every Dive Master that posts here. I think if every person on these boards would start discussing woes of his or her own professional life and how "unfair set of circumstances" apply then Dive Masters would probably bite their tongues as physical stresses associated with their professions probably do not even come close to comparing with mental stress of working in other fields. Every career comes with its advantages and disadvantages. There is no such thing as free cheese and we all know that but we all learn how to deal with it and try not to complain about it publicly.

Do divers really dive TWO sets of steel doubles? That's a lot of bottom time for two dives. No wonder they need all those deco bottles...

On deeper stuff a single set of doubles might be more than enough gas for ONE dive, but nowhere near enough for two.

Treat others as you would wish to be treated.

Remember the Golden Rule your Momma taught you?

These guys don't make much.

Treat others as you would wish to be treated.

Remember the Golden Rule your Momma taught you?

These guys don't make much.

But on the other hand, you don't want them to be able to retire after a few short months---cuz they won't be there the next time you take a trip,----they might retire to some Caribbean island, oops-----------...

(Some edit liberties have been taken. - F106A) For you newbies that don't know old RJP [a professional salesman] here, he's always one to bemoan the existence of the "poor" Divemaster between his dive trips to Truk Lagoon, the Red Sea, Hawaii and other far away places. Don't think for a minute he just put together that long post a few pages back, it's been around for awhile. In fact, this is a relatively "short" thread on tipping. Try reading this one: The "tipping" thread - Page 9 The "tipping" thread - Page 15

NJ gots a LAW that says you can't pump your own gas. So, is gas more expensive in NJ? Nope, but somehow it gets pumped for you and the owners still make a profit. We tip because ... the owner [or his puppet] of the business suggests it to the customer and then increases his or her margin.

...if you want to change the system, STOP "volunteering" to be a Divemaster and get your own boat....

I REALLY need to come up and dive Gypsy Blood .... Because if you wanted a GOOD tip from me, you would DAMN well work your AS$ off to get it... (e.g. You better make sure the coffee's hot!)

"Good answer. Good answer. I like the way you think. I'm gonna be watching you."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom