Scuba etiquette 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesK once bubbled...
I am guilty of that sometimes when I am typing faster than my brain is thinking! :D
funny, cause i cant spell right UNLESS i'm typing! my fingers are used to spelling correctly, but when i'm writing *which i get cramps from anyways!* i am hopeless
:)
MK

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
My biggest gripe is also the attitude that the most expensive gear is the best.
I have what many hogs and dirs will call an el cheapo rig, But its done many dives and it works for me. (Key word, me). I also hate being told "that wont work ", how the bloody hell would you know!!!

Not everyone has the thousands of dollars to spend, but still want to enjoy the sport. On this I agree with you. The only limiting factor is when a diver wants to try and dive into an environment that "requires" certain equipment for "basic life support" and "safe completion" of the dive, and insists on doing so with "basic" equipment.

What is the big hang up with masks on heads?
Next time you see a person with a mask on his head, do you really say "hey, that guy is in trouble!!!"
Secondly, when a person IS really in trouble, is that the only sign?? I think not.
I would never wear a mask on my head whilst newer divers and students are around, but when I am with a familiar crowd, who know my distressed signs, what the hell!

On this we will have to disagree. One of the first signs that a diver is in distress (not the only, just one of the first), is rejection of equipment. Quite often the distressed diver will not cry out for help, and when asked, some will still remain silent. When "we" see a diver "reject" their equipment, "we" tend to watch this person closely, suspecting either trouble, or a lack of training which could lead to trouble.

I know it seems natural to put your mask up their. But it is because it is natural that a distressed diver may resort to that as a first attempt to "normalize" a distressing situation. So all I can ask is "please either remove you mask and clip it to you BC, or pull it down instead".

It's not a *big* deal, but it does help in identifying someone who is just resting, and someone who is running on instinct and in trouble.

I always turn mine around to the back of my head-it is now a pretty ingrained habit (although I am of course willing to break ANY bad habit!) I thought there was not way it could be mistaken for distress, because it is so unnatural that a diver in distress would not do it. However, my Rescue instructor was fairly insistent that I pull it down around my neck, or take it ff and put it on my arm. It would be nice to hear from an instructor as to why this is prefereable.

Ken

the mask down, putting on your head backwards, over arm or clipping to the BC are deliberate acts which indicate the person is comfortable and in control. Removing the mask the instant you break the surface and not knowing where to put it or just shoving it up on your forehead can indicate a lack of comfort and or control of your situation due to stress or being new to diving. This is, as pt40fathoms mentions, simply a first sign that something may be going wrong or need further monitoring.

jbd once bubbled...
Removing the mask the instant you break the surface and not knowing where to put it or just shoving it up on your forehead can indicate a lack of comfort and or control of your situation due to stress or being new to diving.

"The dive master on a boat I was on recently in Florida told us all that we had to be back on board by 3:30."

This is\also a pet peeve of mine, but in reverse. I can plan my dive, I don't need a DM who has no idea what my mix might be or what my profile is or how many safety stops I make or of their duration or any idea of my RMV to tell me how long I should stay down. If a captain has an unusual scheduling problem, I'm happy to work with them.

As for the entire issue of placing your mask on your forehead, I don't do it because I don't want to loose my mask. OTOH, I've never seen anyone in trouble calmly place their mask on their forehead and give no other signs of distress. If someone is calmly floating with their mask on their forehead, they are not in trouble. While divers in distress do reject their equipment from time to time, they are more likely to strip off a mask than to place it on their forehead. They are also much more likely to be tossing their regulator than their mask. This is an issue only because of incorrect lessons in the classroom.

This summer I was DMing for a bunch of Junior AOW's in a summer program. I tell you: I hate juniors. This is not to say that all juniors are bad because some of them are very good. On the whole, these divers were awful. These kids could suck down an 80 in 30 mins--and they couldn't even lift it. They broke all the coral. Ran out of air. Freaked and surfaced. Kicked each other and me. Set-up their gear incorrectly--routinely. I tell you, I did about 15 dives with this group of kids. There was only one dive that went without incident.

I am not a fan of certifying young kids. If I continue on to my instructor, I will hold young divers to a higher standard than previous instructors.

brandon

Walter once bubbled...
[BAs for the entire issue of placing your mask on your forehead, I don't do it because I don't want to loose my mask. OTOH, I've never seen anyone in trouble calmly place their mask on their forehead and give no other signs of distress. If someone is calmly floating with their mask on their forehead, they are not in trouble. While divers in distress do reject their equipment from time to time, they are more likely to strip off a mask than to place it on their forehead. They are also much more likely to be tossing their regulator than their mask. This is an issue only because of incorrect lessons in the classroom. [/B]

I agree with this. Lots of divers will kick their mask up for a couple seconds to wipe the snot off their faces, scrath their noses or whatever. While it is a good way to lose a mask it's certainly not a "sign of distress", regardless of what the PADI book might say.

Tom

by using all the incorrect words. However, I'll not do that. It grates on me as well but I think that it is funny that it does.

Anyway, there have been many posts regarding DM's and instructors. I find this interesting. When I read the original question, I interpreted it to be fellow divers. There really hasn't been too many complaints about them (excluding the professionals).

My top two: Know it alls and folks who spread everything out so there is not room for others, both on shore and on boats.

I will agree, though, that guided time-controlled dives on vacation bug me a bit.

My experience has been generally great with other divers. I find them to be helpful, friendly, and considerate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom