scuba diving with go pro... what is the best way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have worn one headmount and didn't find bubbles to be any issue.

Osric

I have a Sealife still camera and mounted the GoPro (using the tripod mount) via the hotshoe slot and a focus light mount. I can shoot video and still at the same time.

Intova has a camera tray called the slim and flex, with a flexible arm for around $35 which you can put the gopro on with the tripod mount, and attach a torch. Works great, way better than the head mount, which if not positioned right, will miss a lot of what you're looking at. Handheld, the camera caught almost everything I wanted.

I have bonica snapper which is a 1 hand video camera. For the past 6 months I have been waiting for them to release new generation of camera housing... since mine is cracked... but then this camera came out. In all the dives that I had to video tape I found many things that really disadvantaged me as a diver while taping things so let me share those.

#1 Not having 2 hands available is quite painful. Never think of it until you try diving with 1 hand only.
#2 Having your camera hang from chest is also not ideal because it creates drag, you cant squeeze into tight places and can damage coral if swim too low.

#3 Having anything else attached to your body is a royal pain in the butt. I have experimented with attaching a helmet-type flashlight and got annoyed not even 10 minutes into my dive.
So here is my fix to this...

Have camera attached (or 2 cameras if you want to be super fancy) behind your head and have camera itself either pointed at 45 degree angle or attached to a gyro so it can re-balance itself as you move up and down the reef. Camera would be positioned at eye level ensuring that it captures what you see

I just used a camera tray/arm setup from ultralight and attached the GoPro using the tripod adapter, then mounted a video light on the arm. worked pretty well! Here's a video i shot with it - i didn't have the LCD screen yet though, so sometimes the light was pointing too high and i didn't see it...will be solved next time!

YouTube - Reefs, Wrecks and Sharks - Dubstep Diving

I have worn one headmount and didn't find bubbles to be any issue.

Osric

This has been my experience as well.

mounted mine on side of the goodman handle coaxule with the lite.
jerryb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom