scuba diving with go pro... what is the best way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hellhole

Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys/gals!!

very excited to bring this little gopro to take come video while diving.. but i am not sure how to carry/mount it ?

I do have a uw camera that i take still shots with and i just want a video cam to take some movement shots as well as take big bunch of divers taking picture of small critter!! its so funny when i see it.. hahah..

so here are some of the thought that i come up with.. any one got any other suggetions!?!

head mount? i am afraid that bubble will get in the way and there is always the possibility that it will get tangle up or get knock off.

chest mount? this view may not be perfect

wrist mount? i do carry another uw camera to take still shots..

tripod? i think this is feasible... but i keep thinking that the tripod will not last too long in the salt water. although tripod can be cheap... i do not want to keep getting new ones...

pass it to my buddy? i think this is best, but i think still need something to hold it?
anyone have other mod/mounts that they would like to share?

I just ordered my GoPro and was wondering the same thing about using it underwater. I currently have an old "L" bracket with the screw mount this is adjustable. I believe it is called an accessories bracket and can be used with camcorders. It's mostly plastic with metal shoe plates but it might work since it has a handle. I could post photos once the camera arrives.

I use mine a few different ways. I took the Base of the box that the GoPro came in and made a hand mount out of it. I just cut it down cut 2 slits on either side of the mount and then used a elastic hand strap from a can light to hold it on my hand.
I also have the head mount that GoPro makes and this is also nice but you have to have very good trim or the bubbles from your reg go up over the camera. And then I also have a Bonica camera tray with 2 video lights mounted on it. The last one is just one of the sticky mounts that it comes with on my DPV. All work great.

Here is a link to my Youtube videos:
GoPro YouTube Videos

Best way I've seen it done on the Spree is mounted to a bike helmet. It is up and out of the bubble stream, and who cares what happens to the bike helmet, they are 5 bucks at goodwill store.

Hellhole, are you using a tray with your still camera? My GoPro will be mounted on my tray next trip out, aligned in parallel with the main lens just so I have a general idea what it is pointed at (using the LCD on the still camera). And although the flash from the still will visually interupt the video, I don't plan to use the video in anything other than short snips anyway.

oh! how i wish the LCD can come to my country faster... they say mid march! so i should be close!!

i was thinking about mounting it on a tray too.. but i am afraid i will spend too much time trying to see if it align right.. and not be looking at the still side...

maybe i will make it higher and then align it to where i am shooting.. that should show some intresting things...

i think its really down to what situation u are in..

for now.. and the coming trip i guess passing it to a buddy will be best.. and getting a rust proof tripod will help him... since he is not into photography.. he can be our candid camera man...!!!

I use mine a few different ways. I took the Base of the box that the GoPro came in and made a hand mount out of it. I just cut it down cut 2 slits on either side of the mount and then used a elastic hand strap from a can light to hold it on my hand.
I also have the head mount that GoPro makes and this is also nice but you have to have very good trim or the bubbles from your reg go up over the camera. And then I also have a Bonica camera tray with 2 video lights mounted on it. The last one is just one of the sticky mounts that it comes with on my DPV. All work great.

Here is a link to my Youtube videos:

great video man!!
i also am thinking what to do with that base.

a head mount really work? well.. i guess i have to try it and see for myself...

Since you ordered the LCD screen, I am guessing that you have the full HD version. I have the 906 and I love it. One thing that I wish I had done earlier was order the Sartek housing for it that has a flat port replacing the done port. In full 1080 you might get a slight vignetting that can easily be cropped out while editing, and on the lower settings, a little more vignetting. I don't mind cropping this out b/c the clarity and sharpness of the video is so much better with this flat port compared to the "good" video that it already takes. I call it good b/c after seeing video with the flat port, there really is no comparison. You can tell that it is an HD camera with this flat port. The LCD screen will come with a new "back door" for the housing, and that can easily be put on the Sartek housing, as it is the same housing that GoPro will send you...only modified. There is another modification out there where they charge the same amount as Sartek, and glue an oversized flat lens to the front of the housing. The Sartek one looks nicer IMO for $100

As for mounting, Ultra-light has just released some GoPro related mounts including a proper tray. I am not sure of the cost, but you won't have to modify or design your own. I did us the flat square piece out of the box and after protecting it, mounted it to the front of my scooter to see if I liked it there. Most of the dives that I bring it on, I have it clipped. I have removed the screw and run caveline through the holes and have attached a stainless steel dog clip to it so that I can clip it off in my pocket, or in-between use, clip it off to a d-ring, wrist mount gauge bungee or even my light ans a temp place to put it. It is small, and you will find that every movement will be recorded, but if you are going to take video, then why not start it off right.

Links for both...Sartek Industries Product Details.
Ultralight Control Systems under "what's new"

i did order the EOM casing.. that work pretty well so far that i tested.

i am going to order the other lens replacements that are avaliable... to replace the one i have now.

Back
Top Bottom