SCUBA Diving, Urban Legends and Mythbusters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you take a e-learning class, you will not learn anything.

This one doesn't count, too many people accept this as fact.. :D

Actually, you lose 60% of your body heat through your head!:D

Does the air pressure on the INSIDE of a scuba tank increase as the diver ascends?

depends....does the pressure decrease as they descend.....minus the breathing....i could work out the formulas....but i am too lazy....

just remember PV=nRT

The absolute pressure inside the tank does not change with depth. However, the effect of that pressure can change with a change in outside pressure.. If you have 150 PSI in a tank at the surface (sea level), then there is a pressure difference of about 135 PSI and the air in the tank is usable (down to sea level air pressure). But at a depth where the pressure outside the tank is also 150 PSI, then the tank is "empty." As the diver ascends, the external pressure drops, causing a pressure differential that allows some of the air to be used.

10%? Really? My drill sergeant told us it was 60%.

If you make a surface swim in a lake you will be picked up by a water-dropping helicopter and dropped in the middle of a forest fire.

Nitrox make you feel less tired.

The pee will rinse out of your wetsuit.

All diving deaths are a direct result of solo diving.

You should continue classes and become an instructor by the time you have 100 dives.

The absolute pressure inside the tank does not change with depth. However, the effect of that pressure can change with a change in outside pressure.. If you have 150 PSI in a tank at the surface (sea level), then there is a pressure difference of about 135 PSI and the air in the tank is usable (down to sea level air pressure). But at a depth where the pressure outside the tank is also 150 PSI, then the tank is "empty." As the diver ascends, the external pressure drops, causing a pressure differential that allows some of the air to be used.

10%? Really? My drill sergeant told us it was 60%.

technically if you take into account the temperature gradient as well there will be a slight depressurization and repressurization of an unused cylinder of air during a dive. Albiet small there will be a pressure fluctuation due to the surface temperature and the bottom temp....now where you are diving there will of course be a difference in these as with the Great Lakes can be 75 at the top and 40 at the bottom there will be some decrease in pressure....like i said though i am too lazy to work out what the % of pressure loss is due to a temperature gradient.

however you are right....the external pressure to the tank will not affect the internal pressure.....

OK, I'm going to regret bringing this one back up, but the ever favorite female question--
If I dive during that time of the month, will sharks attack me?
or, the opposite:
Menstrual blood is "dead" blood and therefore does not attract sharks.

While not a particularly appealling myth to test on public television, it's reasonably testable without putting an -ahem- real test subject in the water---any diver, with testable collected fluids could theoretically work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom