"Scuba Diving Is Not Associated With High Prevalence of Headache."+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. We're currently working with an individual who suffers from post-dive migraines but doesn't get them on the surface.

- clarification: on the surface, without having made a dive.

Last edited:
I wonder if it would be the same results with women. I am sure they included the reasoning of why it was just men but the article is not available to my school yet so can't see the whole thing.

I wonder if it would be the same results with women.

Hi Melanie,

Doubtful--women are notorious for inopportune headaches ; )

Seriously, it's very likely that men were used as it was easier to find several hundred male than female professional SCUBA divers.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Well yeah!! :) No the reason i asked was because I thought there was a higher prevalence of headaches/migraines in the female population. So I wonder if it would change the results at all, if females were more sensitive to the cold/tension type headaches that can be associated with diving

Hi Melanie,

Seriously, it's very likely that men were used as it was easier to find several hundred male than female professional SCUBA divers.

Regards,

DocVikingo

"I like when my wife is sleeping with her mouth open and I put some aspirins in and she wakes up I tell her they are for her headache and she says she doesn't have a headache and I say good, turn over !!!!!!!!!" James Murdock

Has anyone read the actual study? (Thanks to a member for getting me a copy). Any thoughts?

I find it a problem that they used exclusively firefighters as the dive group, and the control group were just family members from a different clinic. To me, if they were going to use different groups then they need to show the literature that there is not pre-existing differences between the groups already. Or, use all firefighters split into diving and non-diving groups. Pretty sure the outcome would have been the same but still, it is an arguing point against the validity of the study

Hi Melanie,

Regards,

DocVikingo

The number is not that big-- surely they could replicate this with women-- especially because they do have a higher prevalence of migraines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom