Scuba diving dream for MD patient on a ventilator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Terri, thanks for checking out my thread here and thanks for your kind words. Me I just completed an online course and test for SDI so now after my first dive I will be officially certified! Congrats to you and your husband for getting certified... have a great time on Sunday! Safe diving.
Matt

:balloon
Click here to greet a new member!

No experience needed and it feels great!

Hi Promed,
Thanks for the very kind words. To me all you divers are my heroes. Take care and safe diving.

Matt :D

Hi Matt

I'm completely inspired by your commitment to living life fully. Best of Luck with your diving - I can completely relate to your love of it and I hope that you have many years of enjoyment under the surface

Kiffoke

Hi Kiffoke, nice to hear from you. Thanks for the encouraging words. Luck helps but that isn't what all of it. Persistence that is what one needs to go on to make a dream come true. To me diving is awesome. I couldn't think of any thing better for me to do. Diving is my kind of life. I am dive as long as I can no drought about it. By the way, bury me at sea in my full dive gear. LOL. I want my ashes sprinkled on the ship The Yukon in San Diego. That way I will be part of the underwater world. If you ever want to talk PM me.

Take care see you around and safe diving Matt. :D

Hi Matt,
I think you are a real inspiration to all; I am going to use your inspiration to encourage all my students. If I can help in any way let me know, I teach thru IAHD and HSA, and have had many different ways to help my students get through their classes and enjoy the learning experience.
:dance:
Kurt

Hi Kurt, thanks for the kind words. I see you teach for IAHD and HSA, and by all means tell them about me if it well help. How long have you been teaching IAHD? My friend Melanie Paul works with them at times. I could use your help with all my training. I did all my paper work through SDI and passed. I still have to be certified through IAHD before I do the big dive. IAHD would be the best one to train me that is what my partner and a few colleges say. It must be a incredible feeling to teach people with special needs to dive.

Talk to you later and take care Matt. :D :thumb:

Hi Matt,
I know Melanie very well, she took photo's of a class I was helpping with last Dec. in Key Largo. She is a really great person. Have you ever talked with Frazer Bathgate of the IAHD, he is a really cool person. I have been teaching IAHD for a year now, I switched over from HSA, which I had been teaching for six years. Talk to you soon

Hi, that's cool you know Melanie, she's awesome! I haven't talked to Frazer Bathgate, but I've heard of him. Guess I've got to get ahold of Frazer. Can you get his phone # off the web site? What part of the HSA do you work for?

Talk to you later,
Matt

Brian1968:
Hi again, Matt.

Here's one of the things I'm seeing:

There are a few portable ventilators out there designed to work at hyperbaric pressures. They're hard to find but they are there. I think the best bet in this case would be pneumatically controlled one. Requires no electricity but runs off of a gas sourse; it's all mechanical.

I see an umbilical running from the source gas thru a sealed umbilical inlet in an oversized drysuit in which also is you, Matt. The vent can be held in something of a backpack. Inside the suit the source gas would be running directly to the vent...therefore no freeflowing breathing gas in the suit. From the vent, tubing to the trach via a one-way valve and wye connector. The trach connection can easily be made to be low profile to minimize interference with the neck seal and probably elimitate it altogether. The expiratory limb would run back to the umbilical inlet in the suit where another one-valve would vent expired gas to the water. This valve would be set to 5 or slightly higher cmH2O- your PEEP level currently.

A modified regulator would be needed to source the ventilator with the necessary pressure, usually in the neighborhood of 50 psi.
brian, i dont know much about any of this stuff, but no one has mentioned, in all of the thoughts of a (self contained breathing apperatus) what of a rebreather as they as i understand are self contained, this was just a thought, as i say i dont no much about them!! i wish you all of the luck in the worald matt!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom