SCUBA Diving a sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazed_dolphin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know what everyone here thinks. I was having a casual discussion with some new friends I made in Russia. A subject of what sports do you participate came up. I said SCUBA diving. I was told that scuba diving is not a sport, it's more like a hobby. I came across the same opinion with some Americans. What do you think?

last winter. Without a definition of "sport"
the question can't be answered. The arguement
always devolved into defining the characteristics
of a sport.

I think it's more an activity than a sport. You don't
compete with other people and it can be done alone.

There's no special status that goes with "sport" anyway.

I think a sport is anything that you need skills and specialized equipment to perform that you could possibly get hurt or even killed doing. A hobby is something that you might need skills & equipment to do, but would have to be a moron to get hurt doing... like putting a model airplane together or painting a picture.

They are probably thinking of 'team' sports or something where you are in direct competition with someone else.

Just my .02 :D

scuba_junkie once bubbled...
I think a sport is anything that you need skills and specialized equipment to perform that you could possibly get hurt or even killed doing. A hobby is something that you might need skills & equipment to do, but would have to be a moron to get hurt doing... like putting a model airplane together or painting a picture.

They are probably thinking of 'team' sports or something where you are in direct competition with someone else.

Just my .02 :D

Cool definition.

I guess welding is a sport. So is repairing high tension wires and transformers.

Maybe ESPN will start televising firefighting! It's an EXTREME SPORT!

Then again, I guess soccer isn't a sport.. it's not exactly dangerous. Neither is curling. Guess Shaq will be disappointed when he finds out he doesn't play any sports.

IOW, you need a better definition :wink:

Check out this link where this has been taken up before.

skills, specialized equiptment, danger...

I think sex is a sport!!

Sport n.

1. An amusing or interesting pastime: diversion
2. A physical activity, esp. one with a set form and body of rules

I'd say diving covers both. There's no competition, but there are rules even if we don't all play by the same ones. Model ship building would fit the first, but not the second.

We pretty much agree what diving is, so the point revolves around your definition of sport. Pick one.

David

I have to vote rec scuba diving as an activity. I'd say a sport is an activity that includes some form of direct competition (score, time, speed, etc).

Lawman once bubbled...

I think it's more an activity than a sport. You don't compete with other people and it can be done alone.

So poker is a sport?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom