Scuba Divers and Weight Belts:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think many of us agree that the elastic rubber weight belt provides many advantages. I use the wire bail buckle, the marsailles buckle and the "dumpster diver - combo inner tube/nylon" belt rig. I have probably a dozen belts each rigged with different weights and different buckles, so I just grab whichever belt is appropriate for my needs. I have used all the belt buckles for scuba and freediving.

Personally, I think that the combo belt is best for scuba divers that are familiar with a standard buckle, because the use of the belt is identical to what they are familiar with.

I think the marsailles belt works equally well for scuba and freediving, but for scuba I slip a bicycle inner tube belt loop over the buckle so that i can tuck the loose flap of belt away similar to a belt loop n a pair of toursers. This would slow the ditching of the belt down slightly, but for scuba, in warm water, with thin gloves this is a non issue for me. Would not tuck it into a belt loop for feediving.

For freediving, I think that the wire bill buckle is unquestionably the easiest belt to ditch in an emergency (fastest, easiest to ditch, therefore safest). However, for scuba spearfishing and when working around lines, i have had a few occasions where a line got under the wire bill and instantly popped the belt open sending it springing off my body and had to catch it by quickly bending my knees. Haven't lost a belt yet, and I still use the wire bail belt for scuba sometimes, but my experience indicates there are safer rigs.

Loosing a belt while freediving can be an expense, accidentally loosing a belt on a deco dive could be much worse.

What do you guys think about this rubber belt:
Cressi Elastic Belt Inox Buckle. Accessories Belts, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive
cre00030.jpg

I bought the bailwaire belt but like dumpsterdiver said, it can be opened accidentally because the buckle leaves a wide gap after closing. I have to bend the main buckle (the curved long 'A' shaped piece) further to close up the gap. But it may still catch on lines.

So what do you guys think about the Cressi belt?

Your concerns over the bailware belt is not needed. When the belt is in tension, the cam shaped cross section holds it closed unless you flip it open. I've made close to 10,000 dives with a wire bail buckloe and never had it open when I did not want it to or foul in anything.

The belt that you displayed in your post has all the problems of a the thread thru belts, though it looks like the buckle is better made.

I mentioned my problem using a rubber belt with a steel QR buckle that it did not release reliably. I changed the part going through the buckle clamp to a piece of 2 inch nylon webbing. I have never heard of anyone else having the same issue using a rubber belt with a metal QR buckle.

I would just stay with the wire buckle and see how it works out rather than spending more money.

Also if you do not like a purchase from that store, it may cost too much for shipping.

I can make a rubber belt with a Marseille style buckle much tighter and with less effort than with a wire bail or cam style Scuba buckle. The picture does not do the buckle justice. Take a close look at the roller on the bail used to reduce friction when tightening. The pin and bail are made from stainless steel round stock about 5/16"/8mm in diameter — definitely not wimpy and easy to use with gloves. I use one for freediving all the time and sometimes for Scuba. It is very easy to dump yet is almost impossible to trip accidentally — unlike a wire or cam buckle.

Consider the process. A wire bail belt must be preset to length. It is a big hassle to tighten and can’t be done while wearing it, let alone on the bottom. With a Scuba cam buckle, the rubber belt must be stretched in tension using both hands. The Marseille buckle lets you tighten over a the bail roller, fold it back so it is easy to hold, straighten up to check the fit, and then tighten more or pin through the hole. You can go through the motions with a large clothing belt buckle.

I use the commercial weight belt shown in my Avatar most of the time for Scuba diving in cold water. It is made from conveyor belting and stainless rivets, but I use a Marseille belt for Scuba when I need less weight. It depends on your body shape, but most people I have seen can wear a Marseille belt much lower than other belts and not it move throughout the dive.

I have a Mako and a Rob Allen Marseille belt. I wish I saw the Mako first since it is about half the price and is every bit as good, IMHO.

Ask yourself: do you really want to patronize a company that makes and promotes spear guns to torment and kill life in our oceans?

Adam

Ask yourself: do you really want to patronize a company that makes and promotes spear guns to torment and kill life in our oceans?

Adam

Considering that Mako is one of the biggest promoters of responsible spearfishing, I find your comment misplaced.

MAKO Spearguns - Spearfishermans Oath

Spearfishing is among the least wasteful means of harvesting fish. Granted, some fish are wounded by new spearfisherman, but even those fish remain in the food chain. Commercial fishing and distribution through grocery chains suffers far greater waste than a typical active spearfisherman or woman, and is more nutritious.

Considering that Mako is one of the biggest promoters of responsible spearfishing, I find your comment misplaced.

MAKO Spearguns - Spearfishermans Oath

Spearfishing is among the least wasteful means of harvesting fish. Granted, some fish are wounded by new spearfisherman, but even those fish remain in the food chain. Commercial fishing and distribution through grocery chains suffers far greater waste than a typical active spearfisherman or woman, and is more nutritious.

The "oath" includes stupid arguments like: killing is right because my cat eats tuna. Thanks but no thanks. For me I don't dive with divers with spear guns, and for safety sake stay away from them. But then I don't hike with anyone with a gun who hunts.

Adam

The "oath" includes stupid arguments like: killing is right because my cat eats tuna. Thanks but no thanks. For me I don't dive with divers with spear guns, and for safety sake stay away from them. But then I don't hike with anyone with a gun who hunts.

Adam

That is a reasonable personal decision. Do you also boycott stores that sell fish, restaurants that serve fish, dive shops that sell spearguns, and stores that sell fishing poles? How about Mares and Cressi who produce far more spearguns than Mako?
:popcorn:

I use a rubber belt most of the time when I do use a belt. I also have weight integration pockets on one of my wings as an experiment this summer for warm water diving, no stink'n weight belt. In heavier gear, I use a belt, a rubber one.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom