Scuba Divers and Weight Belts:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, you finally inspired me to take some shots. I hope DD doesn't mind me sharing his design. (If so, let me know, and I'll edit out all but a vague description)

From a distance, it looks like any other pocket weight belt (well-worn, at that).

Closer up, however, you can see the belt is actually rubber, except for the pockets, and the tongue (which allows the use of a standard weight belt buckle).

3-IMG_0452.JPG
5-IMG_0454.JPG
8-IMG_0457.JPG

More, and bigger versions of the pics on the album page:
Semi-DIY Rubber Pocket Weight Belt

I'd imagine anyone could make it quite easily, if they could get the right inner tube material. The web belt tongue portion could be sewed by any shoe repair shop for a couple of bucks.

DD, what sort of hose did you use to protect the attachment point of the web belt tongue and the rubber portion, and what sort of wire? (if you don't mind sharing) Automotive? Old reg hose?

I might have some pink belt laying aound. :D Incidentally, on several BC's both for me and for others, I have cut out the cummerbund, removed the nylon wiast belt and fastex clips and replace it all with an identical piece of truck inner tube and belting and of course a metal buckle. Automatic depth compensation, simpler to use, no plastic buckle to crack, allows easier breathing because of flexibility, allows you to rig a waist strap knife sheath (DIR fashion) and it also is much quicker and easier to remove replace the scuba unit underwater.

I might have some pink belt laying aound. :D Incidentally, on several BC's both for me and for others, I have cut out the cummerbund, removed the nylon wiast belt and fastex clips and replace it all with an identical piece of truck inner tube and belting and of course a metal buckle. Automatic depth compensation, simpler to use, no plastic buckle to crack, allows easier breathing because of flexibility, allows you to rig a waist strap knife sheath (DIR fashion) and it also is much quicker and easier to remove replace the scuba unit underwater.

Thanks, DD... she's in my spare Halcyon bp/w, so other than the belt she's in good shape. :) (actually, there's no "problem" with the belt she has, I just suspect she'd like a rubber one better, same as I do!)

I'll drop you a line about making another belt for me (her). Let's stick with black, since it might end up as a loaner on occasion. :wink:

I much prefer rubber belts and agree with your overall assessment. The only place that we part company is with the buckle. I find the wire bail superior to the Marseilles style.

What is a wire bail buckle?

Thanks for the pics CompuDude. I have a rubber Omer mimetic belt with metal QR buckle that will not release properly. I can easily add a piece of nylon webbing now so I can use the belt with my XS SCUBA pouch belt.

The bottom belt is an XSSCUBA pouch weight belt with a rubber belt and steel buckle. The rubber belt is attached to one end of the buckle. For the end that slides through the buckle clamp, there is a length of nylon webbing that is attached to the rubber belt with 2 DiveRite belt slides.

This is my variation on DumpsterDiver's idea of having a rubber belt with 2" nylon webbing on the ends for the steel buckle.

Attachments

• WeightBelt1.jpg
    WeightBelt1.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 112
  • WeightBelt2.jpg
    WeightBelt2.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I just use a wire bail buckle on a rubber belt. Works great, positive closing, one hand can release it with just a flip. Maybe there's a better way ... but I've yet to see it.

I have never seen someone with a wire buckle other than the pictures. I use a Marsellaise for freediving and the steel QR for SCUBA.

This is a good thread about rubber weight belts and different types of buckles.

After looking at CompDude's pictures, I now have a nice comfortable rubber SCUBA weight belt using parts I had available.

Try it, I expect you'll like it. Here's the issue: The airplane style, thread through buckles stay closed based on tension and friction, when either are removed or weakened the buckle can pop open on it's own. Additionally the closing lever is often held in rather weakly by two "ears" that are captured by the frame of the buckle. This arrangement is, in my experience, dangerous and unacceptable with all but the most expensive metal buckles. Cheaper plastic and metal buckles are potentially quite dangerous, the ears break or bend and any flexing or the buckle body will cause it to release on its own. All of these problems are solve with a wire style buckle.

getphoto.cfm

Everyone in this picture was diving with a wire buckle a little while before it was taken.

getphoto.cfm

Ditto for this one, and I can go thorough forty to sixty similar shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom