Scuba diver goes missing off Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why in the world would you want to dive for lobsters without a BC? They get heavy in the bag, you would definitely want the ability to offset the weight of lobsters?

Why in the world would you want to dive for lobsters without a BC? They get heavy in the bag, you would definitely want the ability to offset the weight of lobsters?

I believe this is one of those unverified rumors.

We're getting WAAAAAY off topic here folks.

As to the body-recovery rumors, they are untrue as of late Saturday. The rumor started because one of the searchers was doing a deco or safety stop and shot up an SMB to mark his position. A captain on a passing commercial boat saw it and radioed Baywatch that the body had been recovered. They responded and quickly realized what was what but because of the radio call (I presume) others started saying Laurel had been found. Not true as of Saturday evening.

Thanks for keeping us up to date Ken.

Yes off topic. But since we're there a lot of old time divers dive with a backpack only. Basically a form of the plate and wing, just without the wing. It's a gear choice, doesn't make it wrong or (necessarily) unsafe (eta if one is experienced using this gear). I believe it's common among hardcore lobster divers

Personally I don't do it. And wouldn't

I'd posit that if one is properly weighted you theoretically don't need an air bladder at all. Unless of course you need to get to the surface faster thank kicking up will do. Or you need extra buoyancy to float at the surface. But no evidence of any relevance here, and given the passage of time may never know

Last edited:
I didn't even know about this incident until today when I saw it on facebook.

I've dived with Laurel a couple of times and seen her on various boat trips even more than that. It's bad enough to know that divers died while diving but it's even worse when it's people that you know.

Rest In Peace, Laurel.

And FYI for those who are unfamiliar with SoCal diving, Ship Rock is a great dive site but it's also an advanced dive site.

I hope that it's not true about the Sundiver Charter doing a bad head count (again).

It makes the heart cry. So sad, regardless of the cause

Regarding the BC comments: Most of my dives are using no BC. Done right, it can be safer than diving with one. It's a gear choice that plays into the overall dive plan and certainly does not mean that one cannot stay on the surface in an emergency. Just drop the weights and you'll not go back down unless you take off the wetsuit too.

This is truly a sad case. During my most active dive period I was on the larger Sundiver boat frequently, and Ship Rock was one of my favorite sites, although Ray's plans seldom took the boat there. I never had a moment's doubt of Ray or Kyaa's commitment to the safety of their divers, but I do know mistakes can be made as long as humans are humans.

I personally experienced a near leave-behind of a diver (not me) at Ship Rock once. I was on a small boat (NOT a Sundiver boat) doing a 'live boat' dive and was dropped off solo in the early morning. Other divers were dropped off all around the pinnacle, but no others in my area. One of the divers was using a bright yellow rebreather and it caught my attention. The water was very cold (Feb) and I surfaced after only 35 minutes to find no boat in sight. I spent another 20 minutes floating with a harbor seal as a companion before my boat hove around the rock and picked me up. While I was waiting another boat had seen me and signaled to ask if I was alright. I gave the 'OK' signal but also got the message across I was looking for my boat. Knowing that boat was there was comforting, since I had weighed my options in case my boat didn't return and wasn't thrilled with any of them.

After my boat picked me up, I was told I was the last pick-up and we were heading to our next site. The boat drifted away from the Rock as we de-geared. Just as the captain was firing up the engines I noticed the yellow rebreather guy wasn't there, so I asked loudly where he was. The captain said something like 'Oh ****' and he started the motors to go the short distance back to the rock to look for him. Just then we saw a skiff running toward us with our yellow rebreather guy in tow. I don't remember for sure but I think the skiff was from the same boat that had spotted me and asked if I was ok.

And here is the point about humans making mistakes: the boat I was on held only six divers that day (it could hardly fit any more), was run by an experienced captain, and yet still nearly left a diver behind. If that other boat hand't been there to pick him up when we didn't and I hadn't been fascinated by that yellow rebreather enough to remember and ask after him, what might the outcome have been?

The cause of the situation I experienced was easy to figure out. The small group of divers - all very experienced and most of whom knew each other, created a relaxed atmosphere where strict checking in/out of the water wasn't thought necessary. But that attitude was clearly a mistake.

We may never know what transpired in this current incident, we can only hope the local industry learns from it and so does the dive community. But while learning we must also remember we are all responsible for safety and we are all humans prone to mistakes.

The one part of this sad tale that really angers me is the initial report that Laurel did not surface from her dive. The boat was at a second site before they realized she was missing, returned to Ship Rock and finally reported the indecent to the Coast Guard. There was no evidence whatsoever that she had any kind of dive accident, yet that was the information that got out to the media. For weeks divers searched the depths around Ship Rock. I don't know which way the current ran that morning but she could be halfway to Hawaii while the search continues at Ship Rock.
Everyone was so quick to jump on the "facts" about lobster diving with no BC or arguing about her age yet there was nothing to indicate she actually had a dive accident.
By dive accident I meant underwater. I don't believe this was a staged scene nor an attempt to hide out with Elvis or Bigfoot. I only feel that there is no evidence that she did not surface from her dive as previously reported. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom