Scuba diver dies after being found floating at Kurnell, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about the rest of your post, but the condolences thread is in the Passings forum. Please visit.

You miss the point Don... I know you love the accident investigation part of SB...but if it was your wife, or your kid, I'd bet you would shut this down in a heart beat...and ....that would be the right thing to do....
This is too close to home ( for the SB team), for them to be forced to act like this should be discussed to learn from.....If your wife just died, would you be thrilled to have a bunch of med students tearing around her insides, right after her death? I don't think you would want to see this, or to enjoy their discussions.

If I was SB, I'd be pissed at you right now!!!

Solo diving, buddy diving, and team diving are completely different animals with some overlaps. Each one requires a certain type of gear, planning, but most importantly is the training to recognize a problem before it's too late. I enjoy diving as a team because others have resources I can count on "IF" I can't resolve an issue on my own. It gives me the freedom to be self reliant (like a solo diver) but with the mentality that I'm as important to the divers in the water as they are to me if we stick together as a team.

I'll point out that this IS the thread for investigating ... the thread for condolences is elsewhere

respectful of her memory is ok, but questioning and exploring possibilities of actions taken, or not taken, is exactly what this forum is for

Let's put this another way..... Your wife just drowned on a dive....Reporters come to your door, to quiz you about how this could have happened.
In my mind, the correct response very well could be for you to chase them away, to break their cameras, and threaten to hurt them if they come back...this is the personal side of grief, and you guys are not giving this personal space to the gang at SB. Don't ask them to be professional, at a time that they should be acting in the "Personal".

Don't ask them to be professional, at a time that they should be acting in the "Personal".

It should be the moderators JOB to act ethically and unbiased as much as the truth may hurt. There are many professions that require this mentality which are often high stress places of employment where memories of the days events follow you home each night. Individuals who may have known her who don't have this obligation should be able to express their beliefs as long as it doesn't cross the lines of the TOS.

Reactions: D_B
...//... Also, much as you seem to have the right to grill anyone and everyone, you are not the inquisition, and no one is obligated to testify in a SB thread just because you want it. ...//...

...//... Three people know, they aren't talking. End of story.

-all done with my grilling...

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

It is obvious frustration has set in and as there have been no new facts/opinions presented in some time. But as there is an ongoing investigation, some information may not be able to be discussed publicly as yet. Let's remember that those involved not only have to deal with this tragedy, but also the legal ramifications associated with it. Please keep the discussion centered on the possible causes and how as divers we can best eliminate/avoid them in the future. Personal attacks, inflammatory/ambiguous posts, and the like will be removed. This has been a very informative thread up until now, and we will do our best to keep it that way.

Condolences should be posted in the thread noted above.

Moderators have not protected Marcia. Ask yourself where almost all factual information on this dive, including unflattering details, came from. Please trust me on this: everything of importance that is known by anyone is in the thread already.

Firstly

Kudos to the Mods for being as Professional as they have been. It seems to me that they only stepped in to do 1 of three things. Provide info relayed from the Dive Buddies, Curb off topic discussions, and correct baseless inflamitory comments.

I dont think they have protected Quero because of being a Mod, as it is our General Analysis of this thread that. It was in Fact Quero who left the other divers, not the other way around. A buddy system Failure was a major part of this incident. And it was clear that the Other Buddies did what they could to prevent it from happening.

I know some of us have more info than others, however it is worth noting that with how clear the info we have been given (Through the Mods) is there is really no more pertinant information that can be braught forward without interviewing 'all' the dive buddies, and or Reviewing the Gear which was confiscated.

It seems clear to me that the Police seem to have this well in hand; and all indications point to a thurough investigation (Questioning the divers a second time ect.) I am as frustrated as anyone else due to the lack of info. As no one was with Quero at the time of death, the only thing we can confirm from eye witness statements is the buddy system failure. Anything else requires testing of equipment and autopsy information which at this point would only be supposition and grasping at straws. We are going to have to wait for the Police to release some kind of statement which takes into account all the Facts, including coroberating the witness statements and an apparent second interview to clarify those statements.

With our understanding of what Phil_C said regarding the investigative process... Once the Unbiased Facts are in. we will finally be able to interpret them according to our opinions.

Ran out of Air
Buddy System Fail
Medical Problem
Equipment Failure

I for one am doubtful of any 'new' theories as to this accident coming forward before then.

Here is hoping that the Police will release info Soon.

**** Didnt mean to repeat Baulder Johns Post it was done while I compiled this one*****

You miss the point Don... I know you love the accident investigation part of SB...but if it was your wife, or your kid, I'd bet you would shut this down in a heart beat...and ....that would be the right thing to do....
This is too close to home ( for the SB team), for them to be forced to act like this should be discussed to learn from.....If your wife just died, would you be thrilled to have a bunch of med students tearing around her insides, right after her death? I don't think you would want to see this, or to enjoy their discussions.

If I was SB, I'd be pissed at you right now!!!
Uh, no. This is posted on the main page of this forum
This forum is for the discussion of diving Accidents and Incidents. Please read the message at the top of the forum before posting threads or responses. Memorial threads can be posted in the Passings forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom