Scuba diver dies after being found floating at Kurnell, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They've provided small amounts of information through third parties but they don't want to come on here and be subject to criticism or abuse.
I don't blame them. It would be extremely hard,given the circumstances. Let's cut them a break. When they're ready they'll give us what they can, until then, let them be.

I believe it was cavediver that posted that information. as well as possibly almitywife ....

We are now over 70,000 views on this thread. Marcia continues to teach us and this thread has remained very civil.
I just tuned in. Wow, over 700 posts and people are blaming a very experienced diver in shallow water dying because of her camera? The stupidity of the "regulars" boggles me. It was obviously a medical condition. Sorry for the braggarts who want a teaching moment, but an excellent diver like Marcia wouldn't have died for a stupid reason.

There you go. That last post is obviously from a buddy who directly witnessed the accident and performed the autopsy. So, what was the medical condition?

I think it was Clownfishsydney that was going to try to get info and permission from the buddies to post. I assume he didn't get that permission!

Mike

I personally called a halt to this happening a few days after the accident because it was only a few days after the accident.

I know one of the buddies has spoken to CFS and CFS will post something sooner than later. I have communicated with CFS my concerns and he has given my family the space and time I asked for.

...but an excellent diver like Marcia wouldn't have died for a stupid reason.

What are the intelligent reasons again?

This thread has taken several tangents but I think most participants understand what is relevant to the specific incident and what is general speculation on potential causes and effects. It might be hard to discern by someone who just "tuned in" though.

Sorry if I missed it in the 74 pages, where is the specific information from the dive buddies that was promised long ago when they could get it together?

I, and a few others, have been in constant contact with the dive buddies and we've passed along information from them as accurately as we can. The information that was promised has been posted. The buddies feel a need to be anonymous for the time being so they haven't posted it directly.

R..

I, and a few others, have been in constant contact with the dive buddies and we've passed along information from them as accurately as we can. The information that was promised has been posted. The buddies feel a need to be anonymous for the time being so they haven't posted it directly.

R..

I too have good understanding of the event and can comment having dived with Marcia on her previous dive. Tell me, are comments that she was an excellent diver based on having dived with her or chatting to her? I believe all the relevent known facts (as well as things not realised as facts at the time) have been posted.

There may be more to come from the coroner although this may not be for a long time. There are other bits of info we may like to see/know such as dive computer download, photos to tell time etc but these things are in the hands of the police/coroner and not something we will get our hands on.

I believe that like many many fatalities this is a combination of factors that leave gaps in the safety chain. Finally, one link breaks and there are so many gaps that the outcome is fatal. This is one of those events.

It is a terribly sad event and it has made me realise that OMG, in different ways, it could have been me a few times. MANY LESSONS LEARNT, I believe for many of us.

wow .. just found this, the part about Mia Tegner's weight, wing and drysuit and lift .. is very interesting and I think pertains to this discussion
Another San Diego Tragedy... [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

not sure how this incident is similar, but I didn't read very far into the discussion. It seems that Mia went under without the BC (and tank, regs, etc.) attached to her, and then became separated from the BC at some point leaving her with no gas to breathe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom