Scuba diver dies after being found floating at Kurnell, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FACT. She was NOT found on the surface.

Rule #1. Never trust the media to get a story correct.

You mean, they really DON'T breathe oxygen tanks?!?!? :shocked2:

Best lesson seems to be to live life while you've got it...

If this is ultimately the only lesson to be taken here then it will be the one most fitting.

My gut tells me that there is more. I hope not but Jax's scenarios keep turning over and over in my head.

R..

Autopsy has been performed. Im not comfortable discussing any further about her body/remains but her family is here and she will be going home after Monday our time

Sweetie, where is "home" for Marcia? Thank you.

FACT. She was NOT found on the surface.

Rule #1. Never trust the media to get a story correct.

Well, that reinforces my essential point even more that there's very little to go on. There's now zero to go on.

....My gut tells me that there is more. ....R..

Of course there is but respect remains paramount and it is an ongoing investigation. I know there are family members and those that attempted to save her are aware of this and the condolence thread so Im cannot post detailed excerpts from the police statement.

Not being through this before, maybe ClownFishSydney (aka, Michael) can give more insight into what can be posted but Im not willing to go into all the details that I know because Im concerned about what I can or cannot post online is considered acceptable

Lamont, it was not just the leg pain that got me to wondering. It was flght travel and leg pain that got me to wondering about DVT. I suspect Tracy came to her wondering the same way. Age did not factor into it for me at all, inasmuch as my previous exposure to others with DVT that didn't resolve successfully was in a young otherwise healthy vigorous non-diver. Regardless, whether DVT turns out to be a factor or not in this instance so dear to many of us, is that as traveling divers we need to be aware of this and take our precautions on the flight and not ignore leg pain or any accompanying shortness of breath..

A 62-year old woman has some leg pain and takes some ibuprofen, so she must have DVT?

Bodies start wearing out and there's a large differential diagnosis to be made there, going straight from leg pain to DVT leaps over quite a lot of common ailments any 62 year old could have.

This looks more like emotionally motivated searching for an answer and grasping at straws than a medical diagnosis.

Nobody has suggested that she must of had DVT, in fact I find it rather condescending of you that you should suggest as much. It has been put forward as a possible lesser know cause of sudden death together with possible other accident scenarios such as buoyancy issues etc. Certainly bodies start to wear out and most of us that are older than 60 take the various aches and pains in stride and don't normally mention them unless there is something out of the ordinary which might have been the case in this instance. In addition to the leg pain she was not a resident of Australia so it is likely that she experienced a long flight in the recent past.

Thanks - I've heard "American" and "Brazil".

Just to throw some more fuel on the fire, I'll share a personal bit. :gas:

Given that some young people I know had heart attacks, I took a look at myself and decided I needed to get back in my younger, more fit, shape. But first, I wanted a full check-out before I started strenuously activity.

The end result is that I am in wonderful shape. . . . :whatever:

But I found I have this tiny 'thing' with my heart. And oh yeah; I have this slight 'bit' with my lungs.

And while I am thinking, AYFKM?, I have been cleared for diving. :whatever:

The point of all the above is that the sins of your youth WILL revisit your older years, and 'stuff' changes. After you hit 40, your arms get shorter (Over 40's know what I mean :wink: ), your blood chemistry and pressure changes, and you curse your ancestors.

And for the likes of Diane Nyad, and Marcia Ong, I salute you!!! :worship:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom