Scuba Data

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping this community will help me with a statistics project I've been assigned for my MBA class. I'm supposed to collect data in a topic of interest to develop a predictive model. I immediately thought of Scuba! The more data the better, so I'd really appreciate any help you could give me. The data I need is the following:

Sex
Approximate Weight at time of dive
Max Depth of dive
Total Length of Dive
Amount of Air used (preferably in PSI, but i can convert if necessary)

Using the first four fields I will try to predict the last. I'm not sure if my model will be valid, but if it is, I will post it on the boards when I have all my results.

You can send me multiple dive information, in fact, if you could send me multiple dives that would be ideal.

Please send data samples to mfeller23@yahoo.com with the subject SCUBA Data

Thanks for all your help! - Melanie Feller

Not sure about the "Approximate Weight at time of dive" statistic. Your total weight will vary depending on gear used, plus once you're underwater it becomes neutral. Thus the idea of proper bouyancy control.

You need either tank data or consumption in cubic feet. Different cylinder will have different volume/pressure properties. Other wise you cannot make comparisons.

Pete

Quarrior:
Not sure about the "Approximate Weight at time of dive" statistic. Your total weight will vary depending on gear used, plus once you're underwater it becomes neutral. Thus the idea of proper bouyancy control.

It's still mass in motion, just as Newton. Also a larger (heavier) diver will be punching a bigger hole in the water and work harder.

Are you assuming everyone is starting out with 3000 psi in their tank? That might compromise your data a tad...

spectrum:
It's still mass in motion, just as Newton. Also a larger (heavier) diver will be punching a bigger hole in the water and work harder.
I agree about the mass, however, using weight alone will not give you mass.

Example: A small diver who weighs 140 pounds and wears 15 pounds of weight will have a smaller mass than a diver who weighs 155 pounds and no extra weight for diving.

Quarrior:
I agree about the mass, however, using weight alone will not give you mass.

Example: A small diver who weighs 140 pounds and wears 15 pounds of weight will have a smaller mass than a diver who weighs 155 pounds and no extra weight for diving.
I would have thought they would both have exactly the same mass, 155 lbs. They would of course have a diffrent volume or displacement.

Moonsong, Max depth of dive is not going to give you a lot of info. Better to use average depth of dive.
Maybe you should be trying to predict there Surface Consumtion Rate or SCR instead, although this varies quite a bit due to diver fittness, water temp, diving activity (swiming agaist the current is going to use more than taking pix while staying still) etc.

Sex - this is useful info as woman on average use less air.

Approximate Weight at time of dive - of the person or how much weight they are carrying?

Max Depth of dive - as said, this is pretty useless, average would be more useful

Total Length of Dive - useful

Amount of Air used (preferably in PSI, but i can convert if necessary) - you need the volume used, since tanks come in different sizes and start at different pressures.

You might want to consider other variables such as total number of dives (new divers tend to use much more air) and temperature or conditions (people in cold water wear more weight and bulkier exposure protection and may use more air.) You could ask for lots more things, it might actually be an interesting part of the project to try and determine which variables matter the most.

Back
Top Bottom