Scuba Compressor Question Bauer K180

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hunter991

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone know anything about a Bauer K180. I am considering buying one used with a 20 hp diesel engine.

Thanks for your input.

Brent

hunter991:
Does anyone know anything about a Bauer K180. I am considering buying one used with a 20 hp diesel engine.

Thanks for your input.

Brent
What exactly are you looking to know? A 20 HP Diesel, is a SERIOUS engine for refiiling tanks. Whats you demands like? Do you really need one that size?

NOT being critical, just trying to get a feel for your needs is all.

I am thinking of opening a dive shop. This is a 22 ft3 compressor.

mikswi:
What exactly are you looking to know? A 20 HP Diesel, is a SERIOUS engine for refiiling tanks. Whats you demands like? Do you really need one that size?

NOT being critical, just trying to get a feel for your needs is all.

hunter991:
I am thinking of opening a dive shop. This is a 22 ft3 compressor.

The Bauer range are well respected. Why though an engine rather than electric (sorry going off at a tangent and not answering the question...) ?

Chris

Is this a surplus compressor by chance? I am familiar with the military version.
If so give me a shout...

This is a compressor that a dive shop used. The dive shop guy retired and sold his compressor to someone else. I am thinking about buying it from him. This is the compressor he has for sell. I do not have access to three phase power, and a 20 hp compressor can not be run off of single phase, at least I dont' think so.

This is just the compressor that I found for sale. I am considering buying it. He also has a bauer v14 for sale for a little more, but it has less output.

RME diver, we talked recently on the deco stop. Do you have any courses coming up?

I don't think this is a military compressor. I am open to other suggestions on compressors or good deals. This just seems like a good deal.

brent

Hey Brent,

Nothing scheduled until fall right now, I will keep you posted though.

Bauer makes some great compressors, what brand and model of diesel?

Only observation I would make is that you need plenty of bank facilities to avoid stop-start with the diesel. I think you are correct viz 3phase. Constantly starting and stopping an engine is bad for it - diesels like to run under constant load - this gives lowest wear and best fuel consumption (not that it would use much I guess).
That means run for a couple of hours to charge banks then switch off.
You need to figure if that will meet your gas demand curve, which means when do your customers come in for fills? The other thing to think about is EAN - Membrane or PP. (I think I am right in saying the 180 has a membrane available but at a fairly high price if you don't sell much EAN). For PP you need to look at oil trace/hydrocarbon filters.
If you drop to a smaller model to run off single phase will it meet demand?

I've looked at this problem a good few times myself and it is my firm view that dive shops run a compressor as a service and don't make any money from them. (Add capital, running and time for filling and see). That means you make the money from associated service - i.e. people come for gas and buy other stuff. So this means thinking about the gas needs in your area. EAN, Trimix, O2 and maybe Argon?
That leaves you to think about a mixing panel and storage.

Lots to ponder. Good luck.

Chris

Personally I'd buy a smaller compressor and run it off single phase. OK it'll take longer, but it will be so much quieter and less hassle that it won't really matter. I am very suspicious of air stations using IC engines - they really increase the chances of getting seriously bad air. Also, a smaller compressor is a lot easier to sell if you want to step up, than vv - always seem to be a lot of big old surplus dinosaurs around, for cheap.

BTW, re Chirsch's comments on nitrox, there's also continuous mixing.

I am considering continous mixing or a haskel. Not quiet sure what I am going to do yet. Oxyhacker, what size compressor would you reccomend? I was only considering buying but I may consider leasing now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom