Problem with Bauer Poseidon PE-100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-ACB-

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone.

I have recently started having sudden disconnection problems on my Bauer Poseidon PE-100 single phase compressor.

I have changed the magneto-thermal switch and the starting capacitor without it having helped to solve the problem.

The compressor correctly loads the bottles up to 200 bar but for no apparent reason it disconnects. Sometimes it takes an hour to disconnect and other times it does so within a few minutes.

The compressor is from 2018 and has been used very little and that is why I think it cannot be due to premature wear of its components.

I have heard that some electric motors from 2020 and 2021 had problems, and Bauer changed them under warranty.

Could anyone help me try to solve it?

Thanks from Spain.

There was definitely a batch of bad motors in 2021. Bauer changed suppliers for their 2.2kw motors and the new ones had problems.

If your motor has the black plastic terminal box on top, it's likely the motor has failed. What's the serial number of your compressor?

Thanks for the reply.

Initially the casing is not plastic.

The compressor and motor serial numbers are as follows.

Could you tell me who is the manufacturer of the electric motor?

Attachments

• Bauer_1.jpg
    Bauer_1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Bauer_2.jpg
    Bauer_2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Bauer_3.jpg
    Bauer_3.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 65
Yes I can tell you the manufacturer of that motor if you like, it's the Chinese group WOLONG.

But IMHO it's a cheap piece of crap Chinese junk commonly referred to as a Pizza dough motor.
Which beggars the question why you would want to repeat the experience again with another of the same crap motor.

Bauer on the other hand need to consider the negative results of selling Chinese junk to the scuba market and start offering proper quality motors rather than this rebadging crap Chinese junk made far worse by placing the deception of a Bauer name tag on it. All this does IMHO is to deceive the customer into thinking he has bought a quality product.

For others considering a new compressor and specifically the cheaper Poseidon range ask yourself how are they made cheaper than say the Junior II or other quality brands.

While other quality compressor manufacturers use quality components for their buy in items such as in this case the motors from manufacturers such as ABB Sweden and Siemens Germany.

By contrast what you have on your Bauer Poseidon is made by the Chinese group Wolong with their other deciding piece of crap motor they call the ATB (note similarity to ABB)

Now Bauer have moved to an Italian company called SOGA for their cheap junk range of motors for the recreational scuba market. Sadly the same as Coltri. ROFL Give me strength I rest my case.
I expect the fan boys will disagree. Feel free. Iain

Thank you very much for help.

I don't want to put in another engine just like the one I have, I would just like to repair it.

I thought that knowing the manufacturer I could find some more information on the internet.

The only thing I don't understand is what you say about the quality of Bauer Poseidon. I have a friend who has a Bauer Junior II and they are practically the same (identical in the part related to the electric motor).

Do you know what the problem is with the Chinese electric motor that causes the motor to stop?

Thank you.

I Know nothing about your motor,
But first you need to determine if it is the motor... just reading online will not confirm that.
Wiring in a plug to motor Over riding controls under supervision.
Does it restart after shutdown?
What's amp draw under different siutations?

Is the motor hot? How hot. Do you have a baseline for temp, Does it smell inside the motor, like what?
Wires burning? If so its junk.

If not maybe run capacitors? Start sw? Thermal overload sw, bad or weak, or working properly?
All that kinda testing can not be done online.

Does it restart after shutdown?
Not Always, but It seems like you have to wait a few minutes for it to cool down.
Sometimes it stops before reaching 100 bar and other times it loads the bottle without problem.

Is the motor hot?
No, the motor does not heat up.

With a multimeter I have verified that the current does not exceed 13.5A and there is no burning smell.

Is it possible that there is a temperature sensor inside the winding?

If so, perhaps it would be defective.

Is it possible that there is a temperature sensor inside the winding?
It may have one in the windings, which you may or may not be able to bypass, and install a new one,
It may also have one inside the box where the capacitors are, and acts like a breaker that's auto reset.

It may also have one inside the box where the capacitors are, and acts like a breaker that's auto reset.
I have already changed this last one but it keeps stopping.

Thanks for the reply.

Initially the casing is not plastic.

The compressor and motor serial numbers are as follows.

Thanks for the photos. Your compressor was made a few years before they changed to the newer style motor. This is one of the 'good' motors (I use good loosely, obviously you have an issue but these have been far more reliable than the new ones).

If you've already changed the capacitors and the switch there's not much else that's worth looking at. It will be cheaper and easier to replace the motor from a local supplier. Should cost you no more than about 200-250 Euros.

Historically Bauer used Leroy-Somer motors on both the JuniorII and PE100. They had issues like any motor but were far better than some of the units we're seeing these days. They were made in France I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom